• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is this wrong?

If you look at the detail Globe posted is shows the continuing path of straps from the foundation to the header. It does not say in text only shows in detail. It can be done either on the outside or the inside. Look at section 602.10!

If I am wrong please show the exception. CMNK

Where a panel is located on one side of the opening, the header shall extend between the inside face of the first full-length stud of the panel and the bearing studs at the other end of the opening. A strap with an uplift capacity of not less than 1000 pounds (4448 N) shall fasten the header to the bearing studs. The bearing studs shall also have a tie-down device fastened to the foundation with an uplift capacity of not less than 1000 pounds (4448 N).

That is 2 seperate straps for the bearing studs. One at the top and one at the bottom

I see a 1000 lb strap at the top and a 4200 lb at the bottom but I still don't see a strap that continues from the foundation through to the header.602.10 is very long section.

View attachment 232

View attachment 232

/monthly_2010_10/strap.JPG.6869b7804d2e0f0eb03b6616ae033c51.JPG

I believe RJJ is confusing the nailing pattern of the sheathing with the strap detail.

It is two straps - one high and one low. The right hand side of the detail shows the top strap a bit better. I agree the install in the OP would not provide adequate holding and should be refastened.

The 2010 NYS Code Update has some very good slides that break down the details much more clearly. Had ICC used two or three figures they may have been able to clarify some of the requiements...

One thing I have always wondered about this detail (Alternate Braced Wall Panel / Portal Frame) :

The bottom plate is one continuous member, then there are these two blocks on top of it.

What are the two blocks underneath the anchor bolt for? What purpose do they serve?

I am looking at 2006 IRC.

mtlogcabin said:
Where a panel is located on one side of the opening, the header shall extend between the inside face of the first full-length stud of the panel and the bearing studs at the other end of the opening. A strap with an uplift capacity of not less than 1000 pounds (4448 N) shall fasten the header to the bearing studs. The bearing studs shall also have a tie-down device fastened to the foundation with an uplift capacity of not less than 1000 pounds (4448 N).That is 2 seperate straps for the bearing studs. One at the top and one at the bottom
mtl,

i'll buy the strap at the top, but the so called strap at the bottom is a holdown device anchored in the concrete. a strap would only connect the stud with the bottom plate. mules diagram shows a hpahd 22 holdown not the end of a strap. hda,ltt,mtt,hhdq, take your choice, but it is not a strap!

LowlyInspector said:
An HPAHD22 is not sufficient for the holdown. It lacks the 4200lb uplift requirement
holdown device with 1000# capacity is what i'm seeing and the hpahd would meet that. the 4200 #can be met with another holdown but not a strap. welcome lowly inspector, you are somebody here!:mrgreen:

The 1000# capacity is for the termination at the double post only. The end walls require 4200# which the STHD14 strap would work. My mistake for not making that clear. By the way, thanks for the welcome.

JB: I stand corrected! I did not say what I meant to say. Mules question was where does it say continuous. 602.10.4 .....602.10.4.1.1 etc all contain continuous. What I meant to say was continuous sheathing methods including the straps of the right size top and bottom. The detail Globe posted and then Mule posted show the combinations of both the straps and the sheathing. The nail line is to be continuous. Hopefully I said it correctly this time.

Dang I used continuous 5 times.Every place I look on page 173 it has continuous or continuously! Must mean continuous.

To be continued!

Will that be continuously continued, or only sporadically continued? :D

If I hadn't been teaching that very detail for the last three months I might have missed it also. ICC should have broken the details down better with additional figures...