• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Isolated pier foundations for manufactured buildings

Unless your state statutes are explicitly clear that the building official can determine when an engineer is required I suggest you think again.

The licensing of engineers restrains trade and would be subject to the federal anti-trust laws except when the state legislature, not the city council or the building official, has clearly articulated a desire to restrain trade. The US Supreme Court made this clear. Thus if the local jurisdiction decided to regulate when an engineer was required they would be subject to anti-trust legislation.
Me thinks that is why we fall under Public Safety with Police Powers since Common Law was invented

Unless your state statutes are explicitly clear that the building official can determine when an engineer is required I suggest you think again.

The licensing of engineers restrains trade and would be subject to the federal anti-trust laws except when the state legislature, not the city council or the building official, has clearly articulated a desire to restrain trade. The US Supreme Court made this clear. Thus if the local jurisdiction decided to regulate when an engineer was required they would be subject to anti-trust legislation.
Not going to dispute that. Just that in my experience in this rural region, if the building department says I do not need an engineer's seal, I can build without it. I suspect many officials on this board and perhaps a few RDPs, would say parts of what I'm doing do require a seal per the amended IRC: rubble trench foundation, a 4 ply 2x12 beam, and diagonal wood bracing where some engineered portal frame might be required. Of course I could keep some chickens or rabbits in it and qualify it as a bona fide agricultural building, then exempt from all building codes in NY. Ultimately, it will be overbuilt, a benefit of using rough sawn lumber. Full 1" diagonal wood board sheathing has to be much stronger than 7/16 OSB, among other over built bits and pieces.

Me thinks that is why we fall under Public Safety with Police Powers since Common Law was invented
I seem to be hearing that the individual building official can impose his personal belief of what is required and need not comply with the statutes adopted by the legislature or the local jurisdiction.

It is the legislative body that can exercise the police powers. Remember the police must still comply with the laws.

My understanding is that common law is comes into play when the issues is not addressed by the adopted laws.

ws
I seem to be hearing that the individual building official can impose his personal belief of what is required and need not comply with the statutes adopted by the legislature or the local jurisdiction.
YOU ARE READING TOO MUCH INTO THIS. WE APPLY THE CODE AND DECERN THE INTENT WHEN IT ISN'T EXPLICIT BY USING OUR JUDGEMENT
It is the legislative body that can exercise the police powers. Remember the police must still comply with the laws.
CODE OFFICIALS ARE THE PEOPLE EXCERCISWHO E THOSE PUBLIC SAFETY )POLICE POWERS. WE HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO DO THE JOB AND YOU CAN'T HAVE RESPONSIBILITY UNLESS YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITHE

My understanding is that common law is comes into play when the issues is not addressed by the adopted laws.
MY UNDERSTANDING COMMON LAW PROVIDES THE FOUNDATION FOR OUR LAWS, RULES AND STATUTES
THIS IS ALSO WHY SOME HUMILITY IS REQUIRED TO DO OUR JOB THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED
YOU KNOW: APPLY NOT 9INFLICT THE CODE

I've seen many "metal" buildings built on Pier foundations without Cont beams between them. The structure is supported the Piers and then they pour a turndown slab for the floor of the building.