• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Job security

Commercial needs a stamp.

Or not

20' x 40' is 800 square feet. In this state, except for certain occupancies any building under 5,000 square feet is exempt from needing an architect's seal and signature. I believe other states have similar exemptions for small buildings, but the size may be different.

Your constituents have it easy.

"a. All construction and alterations to a structure require plans stamped by an NYS-licensed Engineer.

Except:

1) Stamped plans are not required for agricultural structures when the project costs less than $ 10,000 UNLESS the work affects the structural safety of the structure;

2) Stamped plans are not required for residential structures with a gross habitable floor area of 1,500 square feet or less if the project costs less than $ 10,000 UNLESS the work affects the structural safety of the structure.

See Chapter 16 of the Consolidated Laws; Title VIII: The Professions; Article 145 Engineering and Land Surveying, Section 7209.

b) All construction and alterations to a structure require plans stamped by an NYS-licensed Architect.

Except:

1) Agricultural structures;

2) Residential buildings with a gross habitable floor area of 1,500 square feet or less;

2) Alterations costing $20,000 or less, UNLESS the work affects the structural safety of the structure.
"

I'd say the architects and engineers have a better lobby in Albany than they do in your state or provincial capital.

What project costs less than $10,000 these days? $10,000 / 1500 SF = $6.67 per SF. I don't think residential costs have been that low since the depression

What project costs less than $10,000 these days? $10,000 / 1500 SF = $6.67 per SF. I don't think residential costs have been that low since the depression
I think post #29 was describing agricultural structures under $10k, not residential structures.

I suppose it's theoretically possible to buy some used shade structure and relocate it for $10k.