• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kenya Building Code

Yikes

Gold Member
Long story short, I had to do some research in the Kenya Building Code, and I must say, I'm impressed with its elegance and simplicity. It was developed in 2009 (their last code cycle was 1929!), and when you get to start all over from scratch, you can make a document that is comprehensive without being overbearing. The entire thing clocks in at a little over 600 pages (300 back-to-back), and that includes administration, building siting (like our chapters 3, 5, 6 and 7), Structure and Materials, Building Services (Mech-Elec-Plumb), and Safety, disaster Rick and Maintenance. It even includes the typical plan check and permit applications as attachments.

https://archive.org/details/ke.building.2009

Their accessibility requirements are actually quite similar to ours for turnarounds, max slope, clearances, etc.

I've heard mixed results about code application and enforcement, with the negatives mostly having to do with corruption of the government personnel, etc. rather than a problem with the code itself.

Sounds similar to Cuba, they have a code but don't enforce it. Buildings collapse daily in old Havana.