• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

keyless ignition and carbon monoxide detectors???

If I remember correctly they will be required in the 2012 code where there are attached garages.

Next question will these remote starters on the fobs self start when moving around like the door lock ones lock and unlock doors randomly when you squat or sit with them in your pocket?

Another issue that has cropped up with these is they have to be near the car for the car to keep running--wife drops you at airport and car runs a couple miles before times out and she is stranded on side of road while you are passing through security with the fob in your pocket.

[quote

Another issue that has cropped up with these is they have to be near the car for the car to keep running--wife drops you at airport and car runs a couple miles before times out and she is stranded on side of road while you are passing through security with the fob in your pocket.

Now thats funny don't care who you are!

I think the idea is you have the fob near the car and push another button on the car to start and stop it.

Now the aged challanged pulls into the garage picks up the fob and gets out of the car and forgets to push the off button, car still runs til it runs out of gas.

Frank said:
If I remember correctly they will be required in the 2012 code where there are attached garages.Next question will these remote starters on the fobs self start when moving around like the door lock ones lock and unlock doors randomly when you squat or sit with them in your pocket?

What you do is in that case is hop in a rental car and drive to where she is stranded.

Keep driving by until she notices you laughing.

Code considerations

For new construction, the 2009 International

Residential Code requires Listed

UL 2034 CO alarms to be installed outside

of each separate sleeping area in the

immediate vicinity of the bedrooms in

dwelling units within which fuel-fired

appliances are installed and in dwelling units

with attached garages. CO alarms are also

required in certain existing dwelling units.

We have one of these. The car doesn't stop running when you take the fob with you, but it beeps at you several times to indicate something is wrong. There is also a dash warning that tells you the fob is missing if you're still in the car and the fob is walking away with someone else.

That they do!

Have you heard about them adding noise to electric cars so pedestrians are more aware of their presence? Before long, they'll be requiring loud mufflers instead of banning them. :D

Is there requirement for co detectors in the 2009 IBC, if so where

looked at it breifly, but do not see it.

They are required where gas appliances are installed or attached garages. OR when an electrical permit or a building permit is secured in existing houses with gas appliances or attached garages.

i have remote start and my truck only runs for 15 minutes then it turns itself off.

FM William Burns said:
Sheeeeeeesh, can't fix or continue to regulate STUPID.
So true! Don't need a remote to start a vehicle or any internal combustion engine and leave running in the garage. Same things happen with portable fueled heaters despite the warnings of co poisoning.

"""Cda: In 315 of both IBC and IRC 09""

ok FM my IBC 2009 only goes up to 312, did you get the expanded version?

Fiqure it would be in chapter 9

Now that is interesting

Not required in apartments or similar

Code change or specific reason why it was not put in at the last hearings????