• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

L&I handles the University of Pittsburgh?

MikeC

Silver Member
The University of Pittsburgh is renovating the first floor of a local office building (that they own) into a museum and mercantile. I received a call from city hall stating that they had dropped off paperwork that needed signed that exempts them from obtaining a building permit from the municipality. I immediately said "no, it is not a state owned building". Today I received a copy of a permit issued by L&I for the project. I don't see anything in the UCC that allows them to overstep local enforcement and go to L&I. Is there something that I am not aware of that allows this private school to use L&I instead of the local AHJ?

This is going to hurt because my budget submission for this year included $8,000 in permit and inspection fees for this project.

Any info on this anomaly would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind. I found that the University of Pittsburgh falls under the definition of State-related institution, which does meet the definition of State owned building. My mistake. Don't take a legal definition at face value. Who would have thought that a state owned building doesn't have to be owned by the state.