• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Large digital display array considered a wall finish & required to comply with Section 803??

nmonday

2018 code - Virginia
Existing Building
Construction Type - IB
Use Group - A-3 & Business non-separated mixed use

The project consist of building a new metal stud wall w/ gyp board finish that will support a large digital display (array of smaller screens) approximately 23' wide x 21' tall.
The display is by a company - Daktronics

The AHJ reviewed our set of working drawings and had a review comment that the Daktronic digital display screen constitutes a wall finish and is required to comply with Section 803 - Interior Finishes. And therefore must have NFPA 286 and ASTM E84 or UL 723 testing data to show compliance.

I do not agree that this digital display should be considered a wall finish. Example, what about just one 72" TV hung on a wall... is that a wall finish? Where is the line drawn?

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. We installed what we called microtiles. Forgot the brand name. I think it was 6 rows x 9 columns of display units, just like what you used to see in the background of the NFL pregame shows. Never had a problem with pushback from inspectors. Installed 3 in Richmond, 2 in DC, and many more around the country.

This is an internet picture. You can see the grid pattern of individual tiles about 12”h x 14”w. Our displays were recessed into a wall similar to this.

Attachments

• IMG_3905.jpeg
    IMG_3905.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 11
% ~ %

nmonday, ...would the new wall & installation of the monitors

be initially reviewed under the 2018 Virginia Existing Bldg.
Code [ RE:
Section 601.2.2, Level 2, No. 1 & No. 3 ], which
leads to Section 602.3.1 to "comply with Ch. 8 of the VCC" ?

Also, IMO you may want to schedule an in-person meeting
with the Building Official to discuss the matter more in-depth
and [ possibly ] see if there are any exceptions.

% ~ %

Last edited:
Yes. We installed what we called microtiles. Forgot the brand name. I think it was 6 rows x 9 columns of display units, just like what you used to see in the background of the NFL pregame shows. Never had a problem with pushback from inspectors. Installed 3 in Richmond, 2 in DC, and many more around the country.
This project is in Richmond, but it is a State owned building so DEB is the AHJ on this one.

% ~ %

nmonday, ...would the new wall & installation of the monitors

be initially reviewed under the 2018 Virginia Existing Bldg.
Code [ RE:
Section 601.2.2, Level 2, No. 1 & No. 3 ], which
leads to Section 602.3.1 to "comply with Ch. 8 of the VCC" ?

Also, IMO you may want to schedule an in-person meeting
with the Building Official to discuss the matter more in-depth
and [ possibly ] see if there are any exceptions.

% ~ %
Yes Level 2 Alterations
We will have a meeting with the AHJ, but wanted do some research to see if anyone has come across an interpretation like this before. I'm just not sure how a digital tv array is considered an interior finish rather than just a TV or equipment.

& ~ &

nmonday, ...is the bldg. in question sprinkled or no ?
Also, ...if "not sprinkled", what would you offer to the AHJ for fire protection
of the new wall & the electronic system ?

FWIW, ...Ch. 8 is pretty specific on wall finishes "IF" the installation of
the electronics is considered a wall finish.

Just sayin'...

& ~ &

& ~ &

nmonday, ...is the bldg. in question sprinkled or no ?
Also, ...if "not sprinkled", what would you offer to the AHJ for fire protection
of the new wall & the electronic system ?

FWIW, ...Ch. 8 is pretty specific on wall finishes "IF" the installation of
the electronics is considered a wall finish.

Just sayin'...

& ~ &
Yes building is fully sprinklered.
We did call the reviewer and he could not give us a specific reason why the displays were considered a wall finish.

Yes building is fully sprinklered.
We did call the reviewer and he could not give us a specific reason why the displays were considered a wall finish.
I also called ICC for an interpretation and they had never come across something like this.

# ~ # ~ #

O.K., thanks !

In the area where the new wall & electronic system will be
installed, are there any sprinkler heads there ?.....
REASON:
Having a fully functional sprinkler system with heads already
in-place at the proposed location "might" bolster your case
to the BO.

IMO, ...I would schedule a meeting with the BO to discuss.

# ~ # ~ #

We have installed a massive wall of monitors like a jumbotron approximately 30'x30' in a flooring showroom. Never had any issues. seems like a REACH

DEB always takes a very tough approach, especially with fire safety. Get as much justification and precedent for your viewpoint as you can, reason with them and don't argue with them. (I worked for BCOM at one time, and for other state agencies whose plans they reviewed.)

Will the display cover a much greater percentage of the wall than a tackboard in a school, or something similar?

Hi I hope you still come around this forum and see my message.
Have you heard anything back from ICC?
No just our initial conversation where they were kind of lost at the questions because it they had never heard of that being an issue before. Ultimately the code official granted approval if a smoke detector was installed directly above the display. Unfortunately the project died on the vine anyways due to funding.

The interior finish is what is behind whatever is mounted on a wall.

[BF] INTERIOR WALL AND CEILING FINISH. The exposed interior surfaces of buildings, including but not limited to: fixed or movable walls and partitions; toilet room privacy partitions; columns; ceilings; and interior wainscoting, paneling or other finish applied structurally or for decoration, acoustical correction, surface insulation, structural fire resistance or similar purposes, but not including trim.

It is no more a wall covering than a flat screen tv
That was our initial thought as well before we knew that the size is over 5000 sqft!

No just our initial conversation where they were kind of lost at the questions because it they had never heard of that being an issue before. Ultimately the code official granted approval if a smoke detector was installed directly above the display. Unfortunately the project died on the vine anyways due to funding.
Thats unfortunate but thanks for coming back and sharing...

It bothers me that this becomes a lable game. Is it wall covering or is it equipment and therefore exempt from the wall covering requirements. Seems like the issue should be does it present a fire hazard requiring mitigation, not what it is labeled.

It bothers me that this becomes a lable game. Is it wall covering or is it equipment and therefore exempt from the wall covering requirements. Seems like the issue should be does it present a fire hazard requiring mitigation, not what it is labeled.
It's insightful for me, though, seeing how the American codes interpret things differently.

FYI, I'd consider it a wall covering if there were no other finish on the wall. Otherwise, I'd look at the flame-spread rating and smoke-developed classification met the requirements for the occupancy. If it did, no issue.

Could mean that whatever standard is used for the listing on these devices would need to be changed to include testing for flammability/flame spread. Then simple for enforcement to require it be listed for this use.

The interior finish is what is behind whatever is mounted on a wall.

[BF] INTERIOR WALL AND CEILING FINISH. The exposed interior surfaces of buildings, including but not limited to: fixed or movable walls and partitions; toilet room privacy partitions; columns; ceilings; and interior wainscoting, paneling or other finish applied structurally or for decoration, acoustical correction, surface insulation, structural fire resistance or similar purposes, but not including trim.
I would not consider a flatscreen, over gyp. bd. a finish.