• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Large fireproof NLT built after 1912

Josecuc

Multiple Dwelling Law, the applicable article from MDL for New Law Tenements is Article 7

Windows for public halls:

Section 213 and 217 indicate that public halls require windows, I know that 1968 and 2014 Code do not require windows for public halls (Corridors) but do require artificial lighting along with a emergency power system.

Am I correct in assuming that if I were to design a new public hall in a NLT I would be required to provide windows for that hall? Can artificial lighting be provided in lieu of a window as-of-right, if so what would be the code justification for this?

I know that the 1968 NYC Building code does not require natural light for a corridor, would it be as-of-right to comply with the 1968 code instead of the 1938 code which requires me to look at MDL for egress purposes?

You need to comply with the current code adopted

New or existing building ???

Will you define public hall

You need to comply with the current code adopted

New or existing building ???

Will you define public hall

Its a New Law Tenement built in 1913.

Below is the definition from MDL:

. A "public hall" is a hall, corridor or passageway within a building but outside of all apartments and suites of private rooms. A "public vestibule" is a corridor, not within an apartment or suite of private rooms, providing access to a stair or elevator and not wider than seven feet nor longer than twice the width of the stair or elevator shafts opening upon it. A "public room" or "public part" of a dwelling is a space used in common by the occupants of two or more apartments or rooms, or by persons who are not tenants, or exclusively for mechanical equipment of such dwelling or for storage purposes.

So why the question besides if you need windows or not?

Do you live or work in the building

So why the question besides if you need windows or not?

Do you live or work in the building

I am designing a new public hall in the building and I need to clarify if that hall needs to have a window or can it be completely artificial lighting as it is allowed in newer code (1968 and 2014 codes).

I am designing a new public hall in the building and I need to clarify if that hall needs to have a window or can it be completely artificial lighting as it is allowed in newer code (1968 and 2014 codes).

I would say artificial light should work, not my area.

If new remodel, normally you have to meet current adopted code.

Multiple Dwelling Law, the applicable article from MDL for New Law Tenements is Article 7

Windows for public halls:

Section 213 and 217 indicate that public halls require windows, I know that 1968 and 2014 Code do not require windows for public halls (Corridors) but do require artificial lighting along with a emergency power system.

Am I correct in assuming that if I were to design a new public hall in a NLT I would be required to provide windows for that hall? Can artificial lighting be provided in lieu of a window as-of-right, if so what would be the code justification for this?

I know that the 1968 NYC Building code does not require natural light for a corridor, would it be as-of-right to comply with the 1968 code instead of the 1938 code which requires me to look at MDL for egress purposes?
You have to comply with the current NYC building codes irrespective of when the building was constructed.