• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lateral Displacement w/ Ceiling Joists in Wrong Direction

yep...saw one with big snow that pushed the front wall out about 2"...Took 40yrs, but still....Rafters 2x10 or 12?

I have let them strap across the top with 2x4 or something to tie the 2 sides together, one might allow plywood for a diaphragm or maybe even furring strips.

Can you post a pic of the drawing of how he was supposed to build it? Or did it just have the CJ's going the other way?

I'd bet with some hangers on those short boards in the second pic and a couple more strong-backs on top of the joists he could get an engineer to stamp it.

So Jar, in Florida this will withstand hurricane force uplift? Approved by local AHJ?

This was another Pennsylvania picture and you would not find a stick built roof anywhere in south Florida or along the coastline. This is just bad no matter where you live.

@ ~ @

O.K., maybe I should have asked, "What is the
least costly, Code compliant method in which to
assist in this framing effort" ? :)

@ ~ @

Rafter ties, could be wood @48" OC or an engineer could spec out cable or steal rods at a further distances that will tie the walls together. Snow loads might be the biggest loads,
Since it is dimensional lumber I doubt it is more than 20 ft long, one or two ties designed by an engineer might work