• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Laundry chute in SFD

Plumb-bob

Basically not regulated? No rating required for the shaft? No closures?

Am I correct?

Correct. Very low risk in a SFD. Single occupant/tenant. Openings between stories are unlimited.

Correct. Very low risk in a SFD. Single occupant/tenant. Openings between stories are unlimited.
Whoops. Just noted that this is in the Canada side of the forum.

Answer above is ICC based... but I can't imagine that our northern neighbor would go so far as to address this.

Whoops. Just noted that this is in the Canada side of the forum.

Answer above is ICC based... but I can't imagine that our northern neighbor would go so far as to address this.
Thanks. I had a good look in our code and could not find anything. Just nice to touch base with others, even for big-picture reasoning.

Never came across one on the job. I don't think of any code-related item.

How about a slide from one level to the other, hidden passages, or a fireman's pole? Did anyone come across that? *chuckle chuckle*

Slides, laundry chutes, open stairwells, interconnected floor spaces. Because there is no fire separation between stories in dwelling units, these are unregulated.

or a fireman's pole?
I did encounter one. It was a leap from the opening to the pole. I mentioned that leap to the fireman and he said that they are not allowed to use any pole due to workman's comp claims. I asked why have a pole at all and was told that the civilians that tour the station expect to see a pole. Not an inexpensive waste of money.