• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Legacy code question about certifications

rktect 1

Gold Member
I have really only been involved in the certification process since ICC took over. I was really just wondering how long the legacy codes had certification testing and ceu requirements. Did all three of them have certifications? Any old(er) code people around to answer?

Thanks

I do not know how long they have had certifications. I do not remember any CEU requirements under the SBCCI, UBC or CABO. The Certified
Building Official exam was partially based on the CABO code.
I do remember the test where longer than the ICC's and the UBC was one-part open book and one-part closed book.

Certification in Massachusetts is based state law and regulation not the code, even back in the legacy code days

Expired Legacy Certifications will still be recognized by ICC and roll over to an ICC equivalent certification under certain conditions.