• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Legal Module - MG

patrickjames

I will be taking the legal module portion of the COB exam and am asking for advise from those who have taken this exam recently , please advise how you were able to navigate through theses listed references during the exam. Tabs? Key areas in the books? Thank you .

Human Resources Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations, 4th Edition

Legal Aspects of Code Administration, 2017 Edition

Building Department Administration, 4th edition

Have not taken the exam but I have read "Legal Aspects of Code Administration'

Read the document and try to understand why the book talks about certain issues such as whether your jurisdiction has the authority to adopt building codes and the importance of making sure the code must be properly adopted. For extra credit but not the exam look at what the state statutes say regarding building codes.

Try to understand the examples where the courts have limited the authority of the building department.

I will be taking the legal module portion of the COB exam and am asking for advise from those who have taken this exam recently , please advise how you were able to navigate through theses listed references during the exam. Tabs? Key areas in the books? Thank you .

The Human Resources book and Legal Aspects were the most difficult to navigate through. The problem with the Legal Aspects was the fact that the index is not the best, whereas the Human Resources is much better. There are a lot of obscure questions difficult to find in the HR book. I would take the time to read all of the books cover to cover and highlight what you think is important. Make sure you don't just read but understand the court cases the Legal book highlights as the case law areas come of frequently and ask your interpretation of the meaning of the case.

Welcome

Not a test taker

Might read thru some of the previous cert threads,, While waiting for responses

Do how long have you been on the insp side??

Welcome

Not a test taker

Might read thru some of the previous cert threads,, While waiting for responses

Do how long have you been on the insp side??
I started inspecting on 2017 , so not too long . I do enjoy this career and have been trying to convince my son and wife to take a few exams and get in on this ! I am new here and will look at some of the previous threads.

The Human Resources book and Legal Aspects were the most difficult to navigate through. The problem with the Legal Aspects was the fact that the index is not the best, whereas the Human Resources is much better. There are a lot of obscure questions difficult to find in the HR book. I would take the time to read all of the books cover to cover and highlight what you think is important. Make sure you don't just read but understand the court cases the Legal book highlights as the case law areas come of frequently and ask your interpretation of the meaning of the case.
I am not a fan of the HR book so far , but I just started looking through it, I should have started with the building codes and standard portion of the exam. I like the structure of the CODE books.

The key to navigation is knowing the material along with knowing the Chapters in each publication without looking. By knowing the chapter, you can search quickly just like looking up a word or definition in a dictionary. As in all code books and other related materials, I implore people to know your Chapter 2 definitions and exactly what each chapter is: i.e., Plumbing, water is 6, vents are 9, gas is 12: or Building, 3 is occupancy, 6 is type of construction.
Hope this helps. Good fortune to you!

Congrats on passing these exams! I've been trying to get thru the legal and just missed it at 74% ! If you still have any of the guides you used, I would definitely appreciate the help, thanks!