• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Less Bottom Rod Fire Exit Hardware

Lori,

Like the commentor mentions....the FD most likely won't have any issues with gaining entry if necessary. The way I look at it is that in an emergency these features (3-point doors, floor rods and pins) also provide another level of protection to responders to remind us..."try before you pry" so we know what we are getting into and are prepared for it due to potential 400 degree temperatures AFF. The feature (fire pin) prevents ingress into a potentially untenable area too, but in a fire event anyone approaching a fire door that has dropped it's pin will soon realize how hot it is on the other side and hopefully can seek a secondary exit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old post but I just came across this issue. A customer wants to use "less bottom rod" on single units as well as doubles. I cannot find ANY information on the application of a single unit which has led me here. Only thing I did come across was a statement that only having one rod cancels the fire rating on a single unit. Is this the case? I don't even know how a Firebolt would prevent this? Bottom application into the floor? Into the frame? My company is not doing the frames in this case which concerns me for their fire application. Hope you all see this! Thanks!

I know this is an old post but I just came across this issue. A customer wants to use "less bottom rod" on single units as well as doubles. I cannot find ANY information on the application of a single unit which has led me here. Only thing I did come across was a statement that only having one rod cancels the fire rating on a single unit. Is this the case? I don't even know how a Firebolt would prevent this? Bottom application into the floor? Into the frame? My company is not doing the frames in this case which concerns me for their fire application. Hope you all see this! Thanks!

Email the door guru in this link

With your question

https://idighardware.com/about-2/

Hi Chad -

I don't know of any less-bottom-rod fire exit hardware that is listed for use on a single door. Fire exit hardware for single doors would not normally have rods (as you know). Do you know why the hardware supplier wants to use devices with rods on single doors?

Feel free to email me if you'd prefer - lori.greene@allegion.com.

- Lori