• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Light Fixtures On Fire Rated Ceilings

CAR

SAWHORSE
Just wanted to confirm my understanding that if one is using surface mounted light fixtures on a fire rated ceiling assembly. These fixtures do not need to be fire rated. They can just be "standard" surface mounted/pendants. Now if the fixtures were to be recessed (i.e. cans, linears, etc.) then they would need to either be fire rated fixtures. Or the recessed areas of the fixture have to be "boxed in" with a surround. I'm looking at this excerpt from the Chicago Building Code.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 112141.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 112141.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 4
What is the listing info on the box you are using?
Does it require fire pads?
What do the penetrations do, to your sound transmission?

What is the listing info on the box you are using?
Does it require fire pads?
What do the penetrations do, to your sound transmission?
I'm assisting a colleague with their project. I will look into the listing info from their specs and post the info.

Still need to have a rated penetration at the ceiling....look around 714.5.2 maybe for penetrations

That's what I'm thinking. Even though the fixture itself is not penetrating the ceiling. The penetration for the fixture connection would have to be sealed and protected like any typical fire rated enclosure. But I'm assuming the fixture itself, since it's not recessed, would not have to be a 'specialty' fire rated light fixture.

That's what I'm thinking. Even though the fixture itself is not penetrating the ceiling. The penetration for the fixture connection would have to be sealed and protected like any typical fire rated enclosure. But I'm assuming the fixture itself, since it's not recessed, would not have to be a 'specialty' fire rated light fixture.
Correct....there are some electrical box gimmies....Dependent upon an 1/8" overcut max......Which never happens...