• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Light gage steel stud interior walls

joetheinspector

2015 IBC seismic C
Can an interior light gage steel stud partition wall be attached to the ceiling grid.
These are non-baring partition walls that are not required to be fire rated.
Or does it require further bracing?

non-bearing interior partitions cannot be tied to T-bar, they can be stffined by 45 degree horizontal braces at corners or by extending certain studs to the underside of slabs but must be able to move laterally in the event of a quake.

How tall are the walls.
I think your answer will be in ASCE 7

1604.10 Wind and seismic detailing.
Lateral force-resisting systems shall meet seismic detailing requirements and limitations prescribed in this code and ASCE 7, excluding Chapter 14 and Appendix 11A, even when wind load effects are greater than seismic load effects.

We are talking about what are typically referred to as non-structural systems. They are not a part of the lateral force resisting system and thus Section 1604.10 does not apply. These systems must still be able to resist the seismic and other loads that they will be subject to but the emphasis is on making sure that these loads can be transferred to the lateral force resisting system.

Section 1607.14 is more appropriate.

While the prescriptive solutions for ceiling bracing only provide for bracing of the ceiling there is no reason why the ceiling grid cannot be connected to the partitions. In some configurations the partitions can brace the ceiling. I have seen designs that allowed the ceiling grid bracing to brace the partitions. Many of these special cases require an engineer to design a solution.

Be careful when you say that something cannot be done.

Reactions: JBI
I think ASTM C 754 permits it as long as the designer accounts for the 5 lb. lateral load in the previously mentioned 1607.14. When I looked up the section I had a note written beside it limiting it to seismic A and B. Not immediately sure where that came from (maybe AISI).

C 754-04 Runners to suspended ceilings-shall be fastened with "molly" type expandable fasteners, toggle bolts, clamps or screws into channels, "T" runners, or other members.

Most of the time the designer requires kickers or other lateral support, but sometimes not and I see this every now and then. I allow it based on the above section if it is just a partition with no other loads.

NO - unless the ceiling grid is specifically listed for this type of application for lateral support of stud walls , the answer will be no. However, some ceiling grid does allow a lateral load to be carried and are listed for such application with height limits for studs and weight of product to be used to create the non -load bearing stud wall.

When you say listed what type of listing and by what entity.

Suggest that a design professional who makes an independent determination of the necessary lateral bracing is not constrained by listings and proscriptive provisions.

When you say listed what type of listing and by what entity.

Suggest that a design professional who makes an independent determination of the necessary lateral bracing is not constrained by listings and proscriptive provisions.

Prescriptive provisions are an alternative to 'design' by an RDP.

There you go, the often overlooked "W" word.
Code is a minimum but a "W" may contain tighter requirements that exceed code minimums.

The building code is not concerned about warranties. A building official cannot reject a product because of warranty concerns.

What is the basis for any claim to the contrary?

Can an interior light gage steel stud partition wall be attached to the ceiling grid.?
Not sure I've ever seen that done.

Joe,
Did you mean to say can a ceiling grid be attached to a interior light gauge steel stud partition wall? I would would say yes to this if the wall is supported above to the main structure, usually a piece of crap studding at 45° angle.

The IBC reference ACSE 7 which references ASTM E580 which prohibits this in seismic design category C and higher

Not sure I've ever seen that done.

Joe,
Did you mean to say can a ceiling grid be attached to a interior light gauge steel stud partition wall? I would would say yes to this if the wall is supported above to the main structure, usually a piece of crap studding at 45° angle.

This is very common in offices where they change the layout in large open spaces with a drop ceiling. You attached the top plate to the ceiling grid when you frame out the walls. The grid keeps the walls from moving laterally until the sheetrock provides the natural bracing.

The biggest issue would be in seismic areas but even in regular zones reconfiguring HVAC is the biggest hassle.