• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Light Poles and Ground Rods

Not requiring light poles to have the ground rods unless the plans call it out by the RDP. Grounding to re-bar cage is the norm here. Has to be a UL approved clamp and it's on every pole, grounding back to grounded panel.

I saw a power company setting a new street light pole a few years ago and they did't use a ground rod. They attached the ground wire in a circular manner like a cinnamon roll ran the wire up the side of the pole and stapled it, then set the pole in hole.

We don't require a rod at a light pole and I've never seen one. I have seen them with a flag pole.

I do not require them. Two of my inspectors do and if they are shown on the plans I am ok with that.
The NEC does not require them.
The Lightning protection institute does not require them nor does NFPA 780.
If you think your protecting the circuit in the building think again. A surge protector
will do a better job.

I do not require them. Two of my inspectors do and if they are shown on the plans I am ok with that.
The NEC does not require them.
The Lightning protection institute does not require them nor does NFPA 780.
If you think your protecting the circuit in the building think again. A surge protector will
do a better job.

I would like to know with what legal jurisdiction would an inspector require them, especially if they can create more of a hazard than if not installed. As far as the excuse of "lightning protection" that is total BS as a lightning system is placed around what it is protecting and not to it. If the RDP specs it out, they get a phone call from me asking how they are justifying it and what purpose it serves. The problem is that the code allows it and shouldn't.

We have had that discussion. My position is that if that are on the engineered plans than ok! I agree they don't do jack for lightning protection. What should be done is a group convince NFPA to take a stand. NFPA 780 does not require them. I am not interested in that job. I got ICC to have remote voting by being an absolute pain. They were fun times with sprinkler fix and calling out Sims and want him to debate on this site.
I am now older, not much wiser and just don't need to die on that hill.

We have had that discussion. My position is that if that are on the engineered plans than ok! I agree they don't do jack for lighting protection. What should be done is a group convince NFPA to take a stand. NFPA 780 does not require them. I am not interested in that job. I got ICC to have remote voting by being an absolute pain. They were fun times with sprinkler fix and calling out Sims and what him to debate on this site.
I am now older, not much wiser and just don't need to die on that hill.

I hear you. Again, not only do rods at poles do nothing but they can create unsafe situations with objectionable current and creating a voltage gradient if the equipment grounding conductor gets loose or disconnected.

Never thought about the ground conductor getting loose or disconnected. Interesting point, but that could happen with any ground conductor. Most of the light standards are set on a concrete tube that at contains a cage of rods and wire with bolts attached to the pole, would this not create a ground path for lighting strikes?
And if why?

Never thought about the ground conductor getting loose or disconnected. Interesting point, but that could happen with any ground conductor. Most of the light standards are set on a concrete tube that at contains a cage of rods and wire with bolts attached to the pole, would this not create a ground path for lighting strikes?
And if why?

I have installed some direct burial fiberglass light poles, so...........

For commercial? How tall and what supports them? Are they like a flag pole in a sand sleeve?

Commercial parking lot but all of the poles are on the outside of the pavement or inside curbed areas, planters, islands, etc.

You just auger down 10' and place the pole. Rated to 170MPH winds.

I've seen a grounding rod on almost every light pole base detail I've looked at.

Should the grounding (green or bare) conductor be connected to the ground lug on the pole, and the grounding rod omitted?

Interesting detail! The anti-rotation wing does it come as part of the pole? Because fiberglass does not have much resistance to keep from rotation. The light mounts on top with no arm?
Last, don't think they would work in northern PA.
Chris you should hit the primary long before you reach ten feet.

I've seen a grounding rod on almost every light pole base detail I've looked at.

Should the grounding (green or bare) conductor be connected to the ground lug on the pole, and the grounding rod omitted?

If it is a metal pole it should have a grounding lug for the equipment grounding conductor. That is all that is needed. Most metal poles are bolted to a concrete pier that is full of rebar and that connection does a lot more than a ground rod. Yes, ground rods are spec'd out a lot but that is due to the ignorance or the design professionals and the cookie cutter sheets they use. Kind of like when you have a new building with steel bonded to the concrete encased electrode and they spec out a ground rod. It is just stupid and a waste of man hours and materials. Of course the inspectors want to see the ground rods only because they are on the plans.

The next set of plans I see from an RDP with ground rods on a new building are going to get asked to remove them, same with light poles.

Interesting detail! The anti-rotation wing does it come as part of the pole? Because fiberglass does not have much resistance to keep from rotation. The light mounts on top with no arm?
Last, don't think they would work in northern PA.
Chris you should hit the primary long before you reach ten feet.

They have arms that bolt to the top. Most of the companies that make these poles are up north. As long as they are not in a parking lot in pavement where they can be hit by vehicles, they will work in any climate.

IMG_1420.JPG

The anti-rotation comes with the pole already bolted in place but in my opinion they should have it integral to making the pole without bolts as they can get sheared off.

On the East coast a service entrance conduit is not permitted to be inside a wall yet bare cable is allowed to be buried 18" deep. Light poles are allowed to be made of fiberglass and have no concrete cage. The drawing says that the pole will withstand 170 mph wind and there's a little wing on the bottom to prevent rotation. If I hadn't seen the drawing and all I had was this written description I wouldn't think that it was real. It's like the garden hose in Texas. Fiberglass light poles........Do they need a bicycle barrier?

On the East coast a service entrance conduit is not permitted to be inside a wall yet bare cable is allowed to be buried 18" deep. Light poles are allowed to be made of fiberglass and have no concrete cage. The drawing says that the pole will withstand 170 mph wind and there's a little wing on the bottom to prevent rotation. If I hadn't seen the drawing and all I had was this written description I wouldn't think that it was real. It's like the garden hose in Texas. Fiberglass light poles........Do they need a bicycle barrier?

They are not installed in traffic areas, only green areas and are listed based on performance testing. What you perceive vs reality differ.

18" depends on where it is located among other factors. That is a national code. Not sure what the fuss is all about.

18" depends on where it is located among other factors. That is a national code. Not sure what the fuss is all about.

I suppose the fact that I have never encountered a bare cable buried in dirt makes me question whether that's appropriate. I just don't think that it is a good idea.....you know, we have conduit......buried conduit ......now there's a good idea......and why not?

If somebody tried to bury cable here everybody else would be saying, "Hey! You forgot something" "What the Hell's wrong with you, ya trying to kill someone"? And that's just the way we are. Or could I be alone in this?.....I'll ask around.

Last edited: