• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Light Poles and Ground Rods

I suppose the fact that I have never encountered a bare cable buried in dirt makes me question whether that's appropriate. I just don't think that it is a good idea.....you know, we have conduit......buried conduit ......now there's a good idea......and why not?

If somebody tried to bury cable here everybody else would be saying, "Hey! You forgot something" "What the Hell's wrong with you, ya trying to kill someone"? And that's just the way we are. Or could I be alone in this?.....I'll ask around.

Direct burial cable is designed specifically for that application. Direct burial. I don't remember that last time I saw it other than long feeders to remote buildings and from some POCOs that use it for long runs from poles far away. It has been around for a long time. I can tell you all of the conduit and wire in the conduit that I have seen damaged where the conduit and wiring had to be replace. If you think PVC underground is somehow superior to direct burial cable, you are kidding yourself. A backhoe operator usually doesn't know how much damage they are doing with conduit or direct burial until it's too late.

I am still trying to figure out how direct burial cable even came up on this post. The poles have nothing to do with direct burial cable as all of them are connected via PVC pipe.

I have repaired 12 sections of PVC pipe so far on the same job due to the excavator. Damage is damage is damage is damage.

IMG_1785.JPG

"I am still trying to figure out how direct burial cable even came up on this post."
I did that.

"I have repaired 12 sections of PVC pipe so far on the same job due to the excavator."
Was that the same excavator 12 times?

"Direct burial cable is designed specifically for that application. Direct burial."
No argument here. Disney has alligators in the kids' wading pond. In other words, strange stuff happens.