• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lighting loads IECC 2009 VS NEC 2008

bgingras

I'm trying to do a quick calculation on some track lighting for a "volunteer" project I'm doing and I'm using the NEC 2008. This past week we had training on the IECC 2009 commercial and residential code that the state of MA has adopted and goes into effect July 1. Anyway, I started looking at both books at the same time and the lighting tables don't make since to me now. Maybe I'm missing something here. Anyway IECC has it's max lighting allowances Table 505.5.2 and the NEC has it's min table 220.12. To me it's impossible to meet both requirements! I mean the NEC minimums are higher than the IECC 2009 Maximums in a lot of cases(?). Someone please tell me I'm just tired, or confused and am not reading this right?

Re: Lighting loads IECC 2009 VS NEC 2008

well, it's a problem.. but the IECC eventually will win.

find a low energy, high luminence option

Well this should be fun. Effective July 1(assuming I'm actually employed as an inspector again by then) I'm going to have to enforce a code that violates another code in this state, lovely.

The NEC doesn't require you to install lights that consume a minimum amount of electricity, it just requires you to provide circuits that can supply that amount of power, whether energy codes will allow you to use that much or not.

OK, see I read it as fixtures capable of supplying X amount be installed in accordance with the table. As it is, now we need to review lighting plans more closely and probably should be conducting a rough inspection of how the circuits will be switched after the electrical inspection and prior to insulation and board to prevent issues on the final. these issues came up during the trainign this week...none of us Building Inspectors have anything to do with wiring and electrical so it's all new for a lot of us.