• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lightwell Shaft with Fire Shutters

Some follow up on this. We met with the AHJ and reached the following conclusions:

This could be treated as a two-story atrium, no smoke control required. The separate shaft would be considered connecting more than two floors and need two hour fire barriers bounding it.

Attached is a more developed drawing of my first sketch showing these options.

So I could put a 2 hr glazed "floor" separating the atrium and shaft and then I would only need 1 hr barriers around the shaft.

Or... no horizontal separation between atrium and shaft and provide 2 hr barriers around the shaft (roughly $500,000 if you're curious, there are two of these shafts).

The "shutters" (in lieu of rated glazing) were less well received. 716 certainly allows shutters as an opening protective but I guess the question is - when does the "opening" become large enough that it's all opening and no barrier?

I want to at least consider using unrated storefront around the shaft with something like a Won-Door Moveable Fire Wall that they claim meets ASTM E-199.

What do you think about Won-Door as 2 hr barrier around the shaft? This would be where storefront is shown on attached (you're seeing one side out of 4, all the same size).

Thanks!

Attachments

• ATRIUM SECTION 20200622.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 5
Some follow up on this. We met with the AHJ and reached the following conclusions:

This could be treated as a two-story atrium, no smoke control required. The separate shaft would be considered connecting more than two floors and need two hour fire barriers bounding it.

So I could put a 2 hr glazed "floor" separating the atrium and shaft and then I would only need 1 hr barriers around the shaft.

Or... no horizontal separation between atrium and shaft and provide 2 hr barriers around the shaft (roughly $500,000 if you're curious, there are two of these shafts).

The "shutters" (in lieu of rated glazing) were less well received. 716 certainly allows shutters as an opening protective but I guess the question is - when does the "opening" become large enough that it's all opening and no barrier?

I want to at least consider using unrated storefront around the shaft with something like a Won-Door Moveable Fire Wall that they claim meets ASTM E-199.

What do you think about Won-Door as 2 hr barrier around the shaft? This would be where storefront is shown on attached (you're seeing one side out of 4, all the same size).

Thanks!

I use to love won doors, but not sure of the quality anymore.

Have you checked into what it would take to install won doors??? I am thinking construction and appearance nightmare?

Thanks!

You might check this product and see if it will work for you.

I have not seen it installed anywhere

https://smokeguard.com/products/horizontal

I use to love won doors, but not sure of the quality anymore.

Have you checked into what it would take to install won doors??? I am thinking construction and appearance nightmare?

Not really, it's just a concept at the moment but I know what you mean, do I want an ugly stacked accordion door on every side of the skylight well? But the rated glazing is SO pricey...