• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Liquid Nitrogen Storage Rooms

Michael Knott

Do liquid nitrogen storage rooms need to be fire rated? According to 2016 NFPA 55 6.4.4, gas storage rooms need to be 1 hr rated, but it seems odd since nitrogen can be used as a fire extinguishing agent.

1 hr rating isn’t hard to achieve. Why are you asking?
We are working on a lab project and liquid nitrogen dewars may be stored in the glass wash room. I just want to inform the architect if the walls need to be rated and will also need to provide fire dampers in our ductwork.

Are you also under IFC??

Can you restate

Are these plain old compressed cylinders??

Or cryogenic, which I don’t think you are dealing with.

Looks like you start here:::

6.3.1.1 Threshold Exceedences.

Where the quantities of compressed gases or cryogenic fluids stored or used within an indoor control area exceed those shown in Table 6.3.1.1, the area shall meet the requirements for Protection Levels 1 through 5 in accordance with the building code, based on the requirements of 6.3.2.

And for nitrogen/ inert, appears NA across the board???

Looks like you start here:::

6.3.1.1 Threshold Exceedences.

Where the quantities of compressed gases or cryogenic fluids stored or used within an indoor control area exceed those shown in Table 6.3.1.1, the area shall meet the requirements for Protection Levels 1 through 5 in accordance with the building code, based on the requirements of 6.3.2.

And for nitrogen/ inert, appears NA across the board???
It will be liquid nitrogen which is cryogenic. The table shows no limit for an inert gas, but this is for control areas which are already fire rated areas according to Table 6.2.1.

Do liquid nitrogen storage rooms need to be fire rated? According to 2016 NFPA 55 6.4.4, gas storage rooms need to be 1 hr rated, but it seems odd since nitrogen can be used as a fire extinguishing agent.
Keep in mind that bulk storage of any chemical could be a hazard to the occupant or first responder in an emergency, even if it is sometimes used as a fire retardant.

It will be liquid nitrogen which is cryogenic. The table shows no limit for an inert gas, but this is for control areas which are already fire rated areas according to Table 6.2.1.

Per the table I read no limit in a building

Which would mean no control area required

Or if a control area is there, no limit on nitrogen

I just need to look at cryogenic inside the building

Ok interesting
Have not done indoor cryogenic

Appears for inert. No Requirements

Hi Michael,
I'm not sure if you got a satisfactory answer to your question so I'm chiming in. First, if you're dealing with cryogenic nitrogen, which it sounds like you are if you're talking about dewars, then you should be looking in Section 8 (Cryogenic Fluids) and Sections 5 and 6 of NFPA 55. Construction a Gas Room in accordance with Section 6.4 is one of the options you have to increase the maximum allowable quantity (MAQ) (Table 6.3.1.1) if the actual quantity being stored in the control area exceeds the MAQ. Take a look at Table 6.3.1.1 and you will see that the quantity of Inert Cryogenic fluids in a control area is not limited. You are not required to have one-hour construction simply based on having liquid nitrogen. Hope that helps. - Best, Lynne @ HMEx Assistant