• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

load bearing walls

Thank You

This is really interesting

Notice the rim board location in relation to the 2x6 plate
Like Joe L's example. it is also somewhat cantilevered over the 2 inch foam!

The rebar schedule and the flared top seems to make a lot of sense

I wonder about the thin (3.5 in ) of concrete and wonder if the insulation will reduce the moisture that may, over time , rust the rebar because of low/ thin concrete coverage. Probably using 1/2 stone or a really small aggregate mix. I don't see the PSI of req'd mix spec'ed

Given the "Non Traditional" design, I wonder if the Code Official will ask you to get an Engineer's stamp to validate. For good reason the AHJ may feel that they are sticking their neck, or some other piece of anatomy, out to be cut off later
PS 17 inch wide footing doesn't sound like is is supporting 3 stories. Yep, going to need a Design Professional to validate this one.

Notice the rim board location in relation to the 2x6 plate
Like Joe L's example. it is also somewhat cantilevered over the 2 inch foam!
I would move the rim board to the outside edge of the sill plate and then spray foam the rim from the inside.

The 4" wide concrete bearing surface is bothering me more from an anchoring issue than a bearing issue. I just do not believe there will be enough concrete coverage for the anchor bolts to provide the lateral and possible uplift loading requirements. If the J-bolts are off a little or the J portion is not running parallel with the concrete wall to prevent concrete breakout or side-face blowout.

I would move the rim board to the outside edge of the sill plate and then spray foam the rim from the inside.

The 4" wide concrete bearing surface is bothering me more from an anchoring issue than a bearing issue. I just do not believe there will be enough concrete coverage for the anchor bolts to provide the lateral and possible uplift loading requirements. If the J-bolts are off a little or the J portion is not running parallel with the concrete wall to prevent concrete breakout or side-face blowout.
I like the way you think, although there is something to be said for keeping the load from the 2x6 plate almost centered given the relatively thin (3.5 in) wall.
I guess the flared top portion will compensate, but moving the rim make it more of a non-concentric load. Again, probably not a big deal

Still, an interesting example.

I guess it is a good thing we are supposed to review and not design and hence can discuss, but not allow our thoughts to dictate. Here is where we ask for CLARIFICATION !
My approach had been to say "I have some Concerns!"
Then I am either surprised or confused.
Can you help me understand,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Got to remember the bright double line we are not suppose to cross unless you want to get into a head on collision.

At the end of the day, the good guys like that you may have helped them catch a problem they didn't see and did it in a nice way. We are not there to embarrass anyone or show off. Just do our part

You sound to me like someone who approaches the job in a similar way

I like the way you think, although there is something to be said for keeping the load from the 2x6 plate almost centered given the relatively thin (3.5 in) wall.
I guess the flared top portion will compensate, but moving the rim make it more of a non-concentric load.
Again, probably not a big deal

Still, an interesting example

I guess it is a good thing we are supposed to review and not design and hence can discuss, but not allow our thoughts dictate. Here is where we ask for CLARIFICATION !
My approach had been to say "I have some Concerns!"
Then I am either surprised or confused.
Can you help me understand,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Got to remember the bright double line we are not suppose to cross unless you want to get into a head on collision.

At the end of the day, the good guys like that you may have helped them catch a problem they didn't see and did it in a nice way. We are not there to embarrass anyone or show off. Just do our part

You sound to me like someone who approaches the job in a similar way
Darned ! Just looked closer at the sketch. 2nd dimension up looks like 6 inch concrete wall, not 3.5.
DUHHHHH How the heck could we believe it was 3.5 See what I mean ?