• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lock question

I know the commentary is not code, but the commentary even suggests that it is still the building official's decision as to whether or not to accept the use of the keyed locked with the exceptions. I do not believe that the use of the thumb turn in lieu of the key meets the intent of the code here nor does it meet ADA in terms of graspability.

Codegeek said:
... thumb turn in lieu of the key meets the intent of the code here nor does it meet ADA in terms of graspability.
A key does not meet ADA in terms of graspability.....

A key does not meet ADA in terms of graspability.....
I agree also, however, IF the door is unlocked during business hours as required, the key is not required to be in the lock......

than there is

1008.1.8.2 Hardware height. Door handles, pulls,

latches, locks and other operating devices shall be installed 34 inches (864 mm) min i mum and 48 inches

(1219 mm) max imum above the fin ished floor.

Locks used only for security purposes and not used for normal

operation are permitted at any height.

just a matter of do you believe the device is ther for security or not

That's a good point, IMHO, I would have to say the lock pictured at the bottom of the door would be used for security only. Typical of a highrise or storefront main entry, it gets unlocked in the morning and gets locked in the evening.....for security

By the way, the picture I showed, does not meet the letter or intent of the ADA. The lock is not flush to the rail and can cause some with wheelchair to have difficulties in opening the door. {smooth rail}

There are thumbturns that can be operated without tight grasping, pinching or twisting the wrist. There are also deadbolts with thumbturns that might be acceptable to some of you for this application - classroom function deadbolts. With a classroom deadbolt, you can use the thumbturn to retract the bolt, but you have to use the key to project it. One example of where we would use them is a multi-stall bathroom. An occupant wouldn't be able to lock the door using the thumbturn, but if he was accidentally locked in by someone using the key, he could retract the bolt with the thumbturn.