• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Locked Escape Game Rooms

I suppose the label of an empty room could be Vacant Room. Not that it matters much but calling rooms corridors just seems out of place. I did call attention to the fact that when an egress path leads through intervening rooms there kicks in a requirement for a discernible path. That is in conflict with the use of the intervening room as a confused space for a confusing game.

I may be over reacting but I detect a lack of prudent concern on the part of the building department. Allowing the business to continue while working out the requirements......not even a permit in hand. I am not aware of the extent of any construction that took place. Along with that is any electrical work. I would have been inclined to shut it down until proven safe.

Last edited:
brr,
The fact is that they are by definition special amusement due to egress configurations and obstructions to clear egress pathways. They are treated similar to haunted houses not defined by occupant loads for Assembly or Business. See NFPA 101, 2018 (3.3.37.9 and Annex). Then (12.4.8) and all the applicable provisions required and allowances for special locking arrangements and fail safe measures. Regardless of any personal feelings or attitudes on the occupancies, they’re here in your cities. If they want to operate and stay once discovered, the code addresses allowable measures and acceptable protection for the hazards to life they present.

I suppose the label of an empty room could be Vacant Room. Not that it matters much but calling rooms corridors just seems out of place. I did call attention to the fact that when an egress path leads through intervening rooms there kicks in a requirement for a discernible path. That is in conflict with the use of the intervening room as a confused space for a confusing game.

You are completely right. I'll just leave the rooms blank and see if that will do.

I may be over reacting but I detect a lack of prudent concern on the part of the building department. Allowing the business to continue while working out the requirements......not even a permit in hand. I am not aware of the extent of any construction that took place. Along with that is any electrical work. I would have been inclined to shut it down until proven safe.

I just went back to the businesses website and found only one reference to being locked in a room:
"What if I don't escape?
Not to worry if you are unable to escape in the hour given our staff will kindly let you out of the room.. but you got this!"

I had never watched their promo video on their website, but I found it interesting that they start by saying you won't be locked in by showing the one game where you aren't - the jail cells - but all of the other rooms have locks. If you watch the video further, you can just make out one of the keypad door locks, and, as far as I could tell, there is no override from the staff control room. Also no panic release anywhere.

I completely agree with you about the City's lack of concern - it is primarily what prompted me to post here to see is anyone had any experience with these relatively new businesses or links to other discussions about jurisdictions dealing with the lock issue. We'll see what the City says in the end about allowing keypad locks with push releases. That they don't care that people are currently being locked into rooms while the owner is getting his permit documents and correcting the code violations, astonishes me. Everyone seems too unconcerned - the two exits to the north were still blocked from the outside a month after the inspector's first visit, and, apparently, it was only my going into that business and warning them of the dire consequences that prompted them to action! I told them that any potential manslaughter charges beside, they could be fined by the City!

Here's a picture of the keypad locks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/187067126@N02/49580448837/in/album-72157713182977468/

To those who suggest I warn the owner about the dangers, I promise you, I have - I've referenced the Poland fire, which they were aware of, and that had no impact. But just about any fire in a public place that resulted from a locked door should be all the proof you need. It's like my experience with earthquake retrofitting here in Portland - when I do design work on older homes, I try my best to convince homeowners to at least attach their houses to the foundations in their basements. But earthquakes are just beyond their personal experience, and it's hard to motivate someone to action if the danger is not an immediate threat, especially if it will cost them money now...

Last edited by a moderator:
You are completely right. I'll just leave the rooms blank and see if that will do.

I just went back to the businesses website and found only one reference to being locked in a room:
"What if I don't escape?
Not to worry if you are unable to escape in the hour given our staff will kindly let you out of the room.. but you got this!"

I had never watched their promo video on their website, but I found it interesting that they start by saying you won't be locked in by showing the one game where you aren't - the jail cells - but all of the other rooms have locks. If you watch the video further, you can just make out one of the keypad door locks, and, as far as I could tell, there is override from the staff control room. Also no panic release anywhere.

I completely agree with you about the City's lack of concern - it is primarily what prompted me to post here to see is anyone had any experience with these relatively new businesses or links to other discussions about jurisdictions dealing with the lock issue. We'll see what the City says in the end about allowing keypad locks with push releases. That they don't care that people are currently being locked into rooms while the owner is getting his permit documents and correcting the code violations, astonishes me. Everyone seems too unconcerned - the two exits to the north were still blocked from the outside a month after the inspector's first visit, and, apparently, it was only my going into that business and warning them of the dire consequences that prompted them to action! I told them that any potential manslaughter charges beside, they could be fined by the City!

Here's a picture of the keypad locks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/187067126@N02/49580448837/in/album-72157713182977468/

To those who suggest I warn the owner about the dangers, I promise you, I have - I've referenced the Poland fire, which they were aware of, and that had no impact. But just about any fire in a public place that resulted from a locked door should be all the proof you need. It's like my experience with earthquake retrofitting here in Portland - when I do design work on older homes, I try my best to convince homeowners to at least attach their houses to the foundations in their basements. But earthquakes are just beyond their personal experience, and it's hard to motivate someone to action if the danger is not an immediate threat, especially if it will cost them money now...

Just put regular door hardware on the doors, exit signs, and everyone is good to go, and safe.

Make life easy.