• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Locking 2nd exit door in office requiring only 1 exit?

clubv

Can I permanently lock 2nd exit door (located in new office) to exterior when occupancy (occupant load 8) only requires single exit? "Not an exit sign" required?

Can I permanently lock 2nd exit door (located in new office) to exterior when occupancy (occupant load 8) only requires single exit? "Not an exit sign" required?
I am not familiar with a code provision to support what I’m about to say, IBC 1010.1 addresses doors required as part of the means of egress but you’re saying the door you want to lock is not required.

If the door looks like it could be an egress door but is not your building department may require a “Not an Exit” sign. Not sure what the door looks like or where it is located but here are a few things to consider:

1. If there’s an exit sign above the door or pointing towards the door location those exit signs should be removed.
2. If it is a storefront-style door I would suggest removing the closer and push/pull handles so it looks more like storefront glazing.
3. If it’s a regular door, I’d remove the handle and closer.

Considering that this is a small office my guess is the people working there will be familiar with the fact that the door is “permanently” locked and know to not use if for any purpose. Any customers will know the way they entered and the space sounds small enough they’re not going to get lost in the back of the space.

Not that it really matters, but do you really mean “permanently” locked - like welded shut or something?

In addition to occupant load, you also need to address exit access travel distance and common path of travel distance. If all those are okay, then you can permanently lock the second door. If it were in my jurisdiction, I would require a "NOT AN EXIT" sign, and I'm certain my fire marshal would agree. If there is an exit sign over that door, it will have to be removed.

In addition to occupant load, you also need to address exit access travel distance and common path of travel distance. If all those are okay, then you can permanently lock the second door. If it were in my jurisdiction, I would require a "NOT AN EXIT" sign, and I'm certain my fire marshal would agree. If there is an exit sign over that door, it will have to be removed.
1013.1 Where Required
Exits and exit access doors...
Exceptions:
Exit signs are not required in rooms or areas that require only one exit or exit access.

Good Idea but that could extend to not an exit sign....