• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

LOOKING FOR BUILDING STANDARDS BOOKS

KassandraK+

Hi, In a recent conversation with a county building permitting officer about a wrap around covered deck for a coffee shop he mentioned books that show standardized framing that meet code requirements. He did not give me the names of said books and I would like to find them. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

There is also a document from the American Wood Council - Design for Code Acceptance #6 that outlines deck construction. With a coffee shop, residential codes would not apply.

There is also a document from the American Wood Council - Design for Code Acceptance #6 that outlines deck construction. With a coffee shop, residential codes would not apply.
This is. true with commercial, and high winds, 130, It may. be too specific to find in a book. This may still be a useful reference. Thank you.

Hi, In a recent conversation with a county building permitting officer about a wrap around covered deck for a coffee shop he mentioned books that show standardized framing that meet code requirements. He did not give me the names of said books and I would like to find them. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
I’m going to sound like a dummy by asking this, but what exactly is “standardized framing”? Like in general, I would say I know what the term “standard wood framing” details are, but is “standardized framing” something different? If you’re looking for books about standard wood framing there are books like Architectural Graphics Standards and Building Construction Illustrated that have details that might be useful for reference.

I have heard of the term “advanced framing” but have never worked on a project that used it, here’s a guide about that topic that came up when I searched for “what is standardized framing in construction”:

Post #4 came through while I was writing this, searching for “American Wood Council - Design for Code Acceptance #6” brought this up:

wrap around covered deck for a coffee shop

If we had a commercial building wanting to add a canopy, awning that extends beyond 54-inches or a porch. As a BO, I make the decision here if it can fall on your head or blow over onto your neighbor, your gonna need a permit. If its a commercial project it's most likely gonna need a design professional with that stamp.

Does your community require a commercial construction project to use a RDP? If I'm missing something, please let me know!

I suspect that "standardized framing is a local term, or regional. Round these here parts we call it "stick-framed", and more professional folks call it "light-frame construction".

In building code terms, I would direct the OP to:

Section 2302 Design Requirements
2302.1 General
The design of structural elements or systems, constructed partially or wholly of wood or wood-based products, shall be in accordance with one of the following methods:
1. Allowable stress design in accordance with Sections 2304, 2305 and 2306.
2. Load and resistance factor design in accordance with Sections 2304, 2305 and 2307.
3. Conventional light-frame construction in accordance with Sections 2304 and 2308.
4. AWC WFCM in accordance with Section 2309.
5. The design and construction of log structures in accordance with the provisions of ICC 400.

If we had a commercial building wanting to add a canopy, awning that extends beyond 54-inches or a porch. As a BO, I make the decision here if it can fall on your head or blow over onto your neighbor, your gonna need a permit. If its a commercial project it's most likely gonna need a design professional with that stamp.

Does your community require a commercial construction project to use a RDP? If I'm missing something, please let me know!
It is professionally designed/ drawn/ and will be stamped, hoping to bypass engineering on this one. I am learning more about construction and don't want to pull board sizes out of thin air. Thank you.

It is professionally designed/ drawn/ and will be stamped, hoping to bypass engineering on this one. I am learning more about construction and don't want to pull board sizes out of thin air. Thank you.
Typically in commercial applications an architect may design/draw/ stamp the permit documents, but they would also engage the services of a professional structural engineer to work under them and complete the design. The structural engineer will also be looking at the existing structure to make sure it can handle the loads of the new structure. Your builder could have the framing contractor engineer things for you, this is called delegated design.

It is my understanding that you may design prescriptively using options 3 or 4 from 2302.1 and would only need engineering if you exceed the limitations of either. I believe the AWC WFCM is what the county building permitting officer was referring to, and RLGA provided a link for.

3. Conventional light-frame construction in accordance with Sections 2304 and 2308.
4. AWC WFCM in accordance with Section 2309.