• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Loose connections

ICE

Oh Well
I twisted a wire to see what type of wire it is and it came loose from the breaker. So I tripped the main to put the wire back and found that all of the screws were loose on the breakers. The service entrance conductor looks like it could fall out of the lug too.

And now that I think about it, I didn't reset the main breaker. Oh well, I shouldn't have to do any of that.

DSCN2662.jpg

The service upgrade is a bootleg and so is the patio cover. They get to keep the service upgrade and half of the patio cover.

DSCN2663.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
110.14 . . . "unless the device is identified for the purpose and condition of use."Forgot how to tell when they need to use inhibitor grease between copper and aluminum? Sometimes it's difficult to tell if there's any makes me wonder if there's enough applied.Francis

Francis Vineyard said:
110.14 . . . "unless the device is identified for the purpose and condition of use."Forgot how to tell when they need to use inhibitor grease between copper and aluminum? Sometimes it's difficult to tell if there's any makes me wonder if there's enough applied.Francis
I am confused-- are you saying inhibitor grease is needed for the copper connection in that panel?

Happy Belated Birthday Dennis!

Chris figured me out; I'm the one that's confused; it's the conductor not the lug unless listing says otherwise. I'm sure my other questions have been answered elsewhere; getting lazy to look.

Francis

Francis Vineyard said:
Sorry for going off topic............but this brings up an old issue for me. When I was a new inspector, I was taught deox was required at all service connections with alum. wiring. No one ever challenged my request to see the use of deox/inhibitor.

Than I heard a UL rep say- If inhibitor is required, it would be provided with the product. I never saw a requirement for the use of deox.

Can anyone provide an instance when it is supplied with a product, or a listing requiring the use, or a code section mandating the use. I don't recall ever seeing a written requirement mandating the use.

Steve

The new aluminum wiring does not require Noalox. It is made of different material then in previous years. As a rule I use copper but occasionally use aluminum and I still use the noalox even though it is not required. I have never seen wire supplied with noalox and doubt that it made. Certainly if the manufacturer calls for t then you must but I have not seen it.

Polaris lugs come with an anti-oxidant compound already installed in the lugs. This is about the only product that I have seen that comes with the anti-oxidant already in the lugs.

Chris

raider1 said:
Polaris lugs come with an anti-oxidant compound already installed in the lugs. This is about the only product that I have seen that comes with the anti-oxidant already in the lugs.Chris
Butt-splice crimp connectors also.

They understood that I was serious. A few hundred dollars would have saved much of the patio cover but the planning dept. review fee killed it. That's just wrong. Hell that's an insult. Government still hasn't reached a level of sophistication that accommodates pedestrian projects. (no Fatboy, that does not mean sidewalks)

Why wasn't it, "Here's a permit and six copies of a handout young lady....tell your husband to follow this and make sure he calls for inspection just like it says, in six languages....now give us a couple hundred dollars. Quit your bitching, it could be a hundred a language. Why? Why you say? Because we have a monopoly, that's why." And don't forget....we need to eat too. Or as my father the contractor would say, "It rains on the just and unjust alike." Dad reads a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_t5GPbp5IY

DSCN2679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't qualify as a loose connections, just a poor one. There are five strands at the ground rod and only three here. This is a disconnect at a detached garage and yes I know that there are other violations. This is typical of the work produced by a general contractor. In a better world, we wouldn't let anybody but a licensed electrician touch this work.

DSCN2647.jpg