• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Low temperature hydronic baseboard heaters underneath receptacles NEC

atvjoel

This board a huge help to the general public, thank you to all who take time to respond to questions.

I am installing hydronic baseboard heaters underneath receptacles. Does anyone see a problem with this based on;

Low 120 degree temperature system, heat generated by water heater and not a boiler.

I am using Slant/Fin 30 and cant find anything on their website about if the manufacturer prohibits this. There is even a brochure on their website showing the baseboard under a receptacle but cant find anything that they prohibit this. Since slant/fin doesnt say anything about it, based on that is appears I am in the clear from NEC 110.3(b)

Yes a dummy could put a cord on top of it but seems like that would only be a problem in high heat boiler systems or electrical baseboard, not low temperature hydronic. I dont see 120 degrees burning a cord or making it brittle enough to cause a fire situation.

Its really hard to avoid receptacles because I am an advocate for more receptacles and installed them every 6 ft or less in my duplex build, almost impossible to avoid them.

Thanks in advance appreciate comments.

As far as I know only electric baseboard is prohibited beneath outlets. (NEC 424.10)
Ya figured it wasnt an issue but this thread helps people that really arent sure when googling. 120 degrees I dont see as a hazard. Thanks Paul

This is what California Electrical Code has. I have no knowledge of the Alaska Electrical Code.

424.9 General.
Permanently installed electric baseboard heaters equipped with factory-installed receptacle outlets, or outlets provided as a separate listed assembly, shall be permitted in lieu of a receptacle outlet(s) that is required by 210.50(B). Such receptacle outlets shall not be connected to the heater circuits.

Informational Note: Listed baseboard heaters include instructions that may not permit their installation below receptacle outlets.

424.10 Special Permission.
Fixed electric space-heating equipment and systems installed by methods other than covered by this article shall be permitted only by special permission.

Last edited:
The screw terminals on a receptacle are rated 60C. Thats 140F.
I believe that the 60C operating temp of the device assumes that the ambient air temp is probably 90 deg F and remember that there is derating with larger wire sizes when those feeder conduits are on the roof, subject to the effects of the sun. Which somewhat parallels the situation that is posted here.
sorry for the run on sentence

So, I am wondering out loud, could this be more of an issue than it seems
HMMM ?

Even 180 degree baseboard convectors are pretty warm, but it seems the much higher temp of the filament in an electric baseboard would produce a lot more radiant effect and higher surface temp than the hydronic pipe.

WOW a really interesting question