• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Man charged for head-butting a building inspector

I can't hardly keep my cell phone on my hip, a gun...probably go flying off and the one bullet that I'm allowed would discharge. Kinda scary thinking that that back hoe operator for the city could be packing? He turned the thing over last year.

My company does allow us to carry if I wanted too. Not a gun person, but woulded a mace sprayer be just as effective? I might ask to carry mace spray, mostly for dogs.

My company does allow us to carry if I wanted too. Not a gun person, but woulded a mace sprayer be just as effective? I might ask to carry mace spray, mostly for dogs.

Bump up and get the Bear repellant, that way it is good for mosquitoes on up!!!

Just whatever you use, it will come back in your face also!!!!!!!!!!

Bear spray is not as effective as pepper spray for self defense.

Pepper Spray: An effective self defense against humans
Pepper spray is chemical, non-lethal, self defense weapons available for civilian use. The active ingredient in pepper spray is oleoresin capsicum — the same chemical in chili peppers that gives them their sting and irritating effects. When pepper spray is sprayed on the eyes and skin it causes:

• Intense burning pain
  • Excessive tearing
  • Swelling of the eyelids
  • Temporary blindness
  • Difficulty breathing
These effects often last longer than 20 minutes, making pepper spray an extremely effective self defense weapon. It is so effective that, pepper spray is used by almost all police and some military units to subdue and incapacitate threats.

Bear Spray: An effective deterrent in bear country
Bear spray is similar to pepper spray but is not the same thing. Though they both contain the same active ingredient — oleoresin capsicum, bear spray contains a much lower concentration.

A typical pepper spray used for self defense will have an oleoresin capsicum (OC) concentration of about 10% or higher. A typical bear spray has a oleoresin concentration of about 1 – 2 %.

The goal of using bear spray is to scare off an attacking bear, not cause it to become incapacitated and incur serious pain. That’s why bear spray only requires a small amount of active chemical — just enough to irritate the bear and cause it to back off.

Studies have shown that bear spray is a very effective at reducing the number of bear attack in national parks.

FYI
Bear spray will discharge about 20 to 25 feet, pepper spray about 10 to 12 feet

Reactions: cda
I can't hardly keep my cell phone on my hip, a gun...probably go flying off and the one bullet that I'm allowed would discharge. Kinda scary thinking that that back hoe operator for the city could be packing? He turned the thing over last year.
Being facetious? Another myth for the most part:
"the vast majority of handguns manufactured in the last 100-years are certified as “drop safe.” Meaning, they have, in a laboratory, been loaded with a primed case and test dropped onto concrete from varying angles to determine if they will fire. The Department of Justice Height Standard is 1-meter + 1cm; states such as MA and CA have their own standards (of course.) Some firearms, however, are not drop safe. The old single action Colt revolvers we’re used to seeing in all the Hollywood westerns are on that list. It was common practice in those days to carry an empty chamber under the hammer to prevent an accidental discharge of the pistol should it be dropped and fall directly on the hammer. Along with those, there are pistols like the 1903 Colt .32, and the first batch of Colt 1911 pistols up until 1930, and then again from the onset of WWII till the Series 80 1911’s went into production. The old-style 1911 pistols can have an “inertia discharge”, meaning you drop the gun and it hits the ground in just the right way that the weight of the firing pin overcomes the firing pin spring pressure and strikes the primer of the chambered round. This is a very rare occurrence on a 1911, and is usually kept at bay by replacement of the firing pin spring every 4000 rounds, or so."
http://www.gunssavelife.com/accidental-negligent-discharges-guns-dont-just-go-off/

If they already permit employees to carry a firearm then any policy that would say no to pepper spray is severely under thought. o_O

We are in the West, still lots of folks open carry and plenty of us love our 2nd amendment rights. Some of these condemned houses with tweakers & drug dealers are pretty scary. Most of the time we will call PD to help, but you never know.
Not everyone carries just cause they can. It is a choice and as stated above better know the laws & how to use if you are going to.

Few months back, after an inspection I was doing my notes and a teenager on a bike pulled a gun out of his coat and waved & pointed it at me. Thankfully that was all, Called PD by they time they got there they couldn't find him. Makes me watch more closely in that neighborhood.