• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Marijuana & the Building Code

mark handler

SAWHORSE

Marijuana & the Building Code

https://learn.iccsafe.org/ihtml/app...RgYSxED_U1Sd5HR65jT9y59Je6bzQ3z2JyLtsMe7_CiRw
A passage of legalized marijuana sweeps across the country, inquiries for new and modifications to existing structures for such facilities have already begun. This fast-paced class has been created to discuss facilities - use, egress, electrical concerns, hazards (MAQs), mechanical (exhaust and ventilation), occupancies, plumbing issues, sprinklers and waste disposal. Further discussion will address the potential impact of such legislation on the built environment, based on situations that have been encountered in other states that have previously passed similar legislation and what effects Washington’s law might have on local jurisdictions.
NOTE: Discounts will be taken at time of checkout.
To schedule this offering, please contact ICC Learning Center
LOCATIONS AND DATES:
Apr 04, 2019 - Apr 04, 2019 MicroTek - Denver, CO, 999 18th St. Suite 300 South Tower Denver, Colorado 80202
Apr 04, 2019 - Apr 04, 2019 Virtual Training Room, Online Only - Internet Access Required -, WEB BASED -
Nov 21, 2019 - Nov 21, 2019 ICC Western Regional Office, 3060 Saturn Street, Suite 100 Brea, California 92821
Non-Member Price $198.00 Member Price $165.00

I believe this is Steve Thomas's class. He is an excellent instructor, and being in Colorado, he has dealt with this issue from the beginning. He is very good about not focusing on the controversial "drug" discussion. He sticks to building safety and the intent of the building codes. I heard someone finally brought a federal bill forth to legalize nationwide. If not this bill, it will be the next. It is only a matter of time. Better learn this now.

We don't issue permits for agriculture buildings in PA. But where they are processing it a permit is required. So if they are smart the will have a separate building for processing, packing, etc.

I believe that the new federal law (via the latest farm bill) that brought back legalized Industrial Hemp will by far out pace the THC marijuana businesses. I see production facilities for many things that the fiber can be made into such as building insulation, fiber boards, paper, etc.. I look forward to watching this new industrialization unfold. Canada appears to be way ahead of our nation on this. If federal laws can legalize the recreational use of marijuana then they can move away from being cash only businesses then much more would be happening on the THC side.

Since Alaska's legalization of recreational marijuana, my little jurisdiction has only allowed retail and laboratories - so I have just had ONE retail facility. Just outside our boundaries there are many of all types. Unless the local political climate changes I will likely not ever see the production side of this. I see this sign every commute to/from work.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    970.1 KB · Views: 19
I am in CO, Rec and Med legal. My City leaders early on chose to legislate the selling and production inside city limits, illegal. Massive loss of revenue, but also loss of having to review and inspect these facilities. If this is Steve Thomas's class, you need to go if you have any interest in the subject. Great class, great instructor, you will not regret.

I believe that the new federal law (via the latest farm bill) that brought back legalized Industrial Hemp will by far out pace the THC marijuana businesses
Our city does not allow them if the THC levels fall under the FDA regulations. So far two CBD oil processing facilities that have tried to locate in our city failed to get below the levels the FDA uses to classify marijuana as a Class I drug. No FDA approval of your product, no approval to operate within the city.

I received this email this morning.
Gentleman,

I hope this morning finds you well. It is my understanding that each of you has one of the five marijuana oil production facilities coming to your municipalities. Since these are the first in the State, I was hoping to discuss with each of you how you will be treating the facilities from a building code enforcement viewpoint. I would think that if we all treat them in a consistent manner, we would be doing ourselves, our localities, our colleagues around the state, and the industry a service. The facility in Portsmouth is on a fairly fast track since the facility has to be up and ready to dispense product within the next nine months. As such we are meeting with the facility team for the first time today.

I have done a fair amount of research on the topic and would be happy to share what I’ve learned and understand. There have been some interesting articles in the NFPA Journal over the last few years and they point to Denver, Colorado as the nexus for enforcement activity of this industry. I reached out to the folks in Denver and got some pretty good information. I have attached four links below for your reading pleasure in the hopes we here in VA could start a conversation on this quickly growing (pun intended) industry.

If you all feel the same way, I think we could all do our colleagues throughout the state a service since we are the tip of the enforcement spear here in the Commonwealth.

Thank you for your time,

Very Respectfully,

Douglas K. Smith

Douglas K. Smith, MCP; Building/Code Official

Director of Permits and Inspections

801 Crawford St, 4th Floor

Portsmouth, VA 23704

757-393-8531

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Resea...ly-August-2018/Features/The-Cannabis-Industry

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Publications/NFPA-Journal/2016/September-October-2016

https://www.denvergov.org/content/d...uilding_Code/2016_Code_Policies/IBC_302.1.pdf

https://www.denvergov.org/content/d...6_Denver_Building_andFire_Code_Amendments.pdf

Thank you many times over, Have already completed a few of these in Los Angeles. The chemical use is very scary, the "Suits" are waiting in the wings to deal with the first injuries to arise from their use.

I received this email this morning.
Gentleman,

I hope this morning finds you well. It is my understanding that each of you has one of the five marijuana oil production facilities coming to your municipalities. Since these are the first in the State, I was hoping to discuss with each of you how you will be treating the facilities from a building code enforcement viewpoint. I would think that if we all treat them in a consistent manner, we would be doing ourselves, our localities, our colleagues around the state, and the industry a service. The facility in Portsmouth is on a fairly fast track since the facility has to be up and ready to dispense product within the next nine months. As such we are meeting with the facility team for the first time today.

I have done a fair amount of research on the topic and would be happy to share what I’ve learned and understand. There have been some interesting articles in the NFPA Journal over the last few years and they point to Denver, Colorado as the nexus for enforcement activity of this industry. I reached out to the folks in Denver and got some pretty good information. I have attached four links below for your reading pleasure in the hopes we here in VA could start a conversation on this quickly growing (pun intended) industry.

If you all feel the same way, I think we could all do our colleagues throughout the state a service since we are the tip of the enforcement spear here in the Commonwealth.

Thank you for your time,

Very Respectfully,

Douglas K. Smith

Douglas K. Smith, MCP; Building/Code Official

Director of Permits and Inspections

801 Crawford St, 4th Floor

Portsmouth, VA 23704

757-393-8531

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Resea...ly-August-2018/Features/The-Cannabis-Industry

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Publications/NFPA-Journal/2016/September-October-2016

https://www.denvergov.org/content/d...uilding_Code/2016_Code_Policies/IBC_302.1.pdf

https://www.denvergov.org/content/d...6_Denver_Building_andFire_Code_Amendments.pdf

Douglas K. Smith might not be pleased to see his name and phone number published here.

Interesting class put together and presented by Mr. Thomas, if you get a chance, I urge you to take his class. Some of our legislators should have seen the class before they voted.

This is a very interesting topic. I was thinking about starting my own marijuana growing business. Two years ago I got in the accident. I had three surgeries and I still didn't recover completely. The doctor told me to use medical marijuana. Also, he told me where to take it. I buy marijuana from New York Medical Marijuana Dispensary & Delivery since then. It seems that the things are going well for them. I saved some money previously. And the idea of becoming a marijuana dealer looks interesting.

This is a very interesting topic. I was thinking about starting my own marijuana growing business. Two years ago I got in the accident. I had three surgeries and I still didn't recover completely. The doctor told me to use medical marijuana. Also, he told me where to take it. I buy marijuana from New York Medical Marijuana Dispensary & Delivery since then. It seems that the things are going well for them. I saved some money previously. And the idea of becoming a marijuana dealer looks interesting.
Nice link....

Spam-o