• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

alacreative

Where can I locate drive-through requirements for a bank ATM and tellers? Width, access heights of ATM, etc.

Thank you!!

Did Mass. adopt the ICC/ANSI A117.1 2009?

503.5 Vertical Clearance. A vertical clearance of 114 inches minimum shall be provided at the following locations:
1. Vehicle pull-up spaces;
2. The access aisles serving vehicle pull-up spaces;
3. A vehicular route from an entrance to the passenger loading zone, and;
4. A vehicular route from the passenger loading zone to a vehicular exit serving vehicle pull-up spaces.

707 Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) and Fare Machines

May other responses help with the Mass. provisions and the width.

What's posted above are the minimums for accessibility; in addition to those, the bank itself probably has standards for building design (assuming it's a branch office of a larger banking institution). I'd ask the bank's project manager for a copy of their building design standards.

Thank you all. I'm aware of the Mass AAB/521 CMR accessibility guidelines as well as this particular banks standards (which I don't want to rely on). However, I didn't think that the width, curb cuts, radius, ect. requirements for a drive-though would be found in the accessibility code. I'm mainly looking for the drive-though width from curb to curb and height requirements for the ATM's that will be used as part of the drive-up. The canopy is existing and will remain. The scope is to demo the islands of a 3 lane drive-though and install new virtual tellers/ATM's.

Would this information be located in the same spot as driveway/road widths? If so, where is this information? I can't seem to locate any road/driveway information within the 2009 IBC (Mass adopts the IBC with local amendments).

Thanks again!

Other than Fire Apparatus Access Roads, the Codes do not address roads (and FAAR are in the Fire Code). Local zoning or other land use regulations may provide such information.

Contact the Access Boards technical hot line if Mass's AAB can't provide clarification.

Since I have yet to get too involved with road/driveway design in my career, I'm finding it interesting that road/driveway widths are not easily found. I'm still confused as to why the AAB would have this information as they regulate design pertaining to making public buildings accessible to and safe for use by persons with disabilities. I'm simply looking for information on drive-through widths: for a bank service offered via your vehicle. I don't see something other than ATM height and reach being a part of the AAB's scope, but I could be wrong. Plus, I can't find the information I'm looking for within the AAB 521 CMR.

Nor can I find this information with the zoning guidelines of the town. Does law typically set these requirements? Maybe I can simply keep the existing widths that are already there and not over-analyze this, but why is it that I can't easily find this information? Who/what typically holds the requirements for roads, drive-throughs, highways, etc.? The only laws pertaining to this subject I can find is about snow removal and scenic highways.

I'm glad this steered me down this path because I'm really motivated now to discover where this information is for both Massachusetts and where it typically is found for various other US states.

Reactions: JBI
This is just not an area that would benefit from regulation. State DOTs and county/local public works departments will have standards for street and highway design in the public right-of-way, but private roadways and driveways are not subject to any specific regulations (except for fire apparatus access roads, as previously mentioned and where private roads intersect public roads). Architectural Graphic Standards has a section on design of vehicular elements that might benefit you.

This is just not an area that would benefit from regulation. State DOTs and county/local public works departments will have standards for street and highway design in the public right-of-way, but private roadways and driveways are not subject to any specific regulations (except for fire apparatus access roads, as previously mentioned and where private roads intersect public roads). Architectural Graphic Standards has a section on design of vehicular elements that might benefit you.

Very interesting. I never thought of this area not being beneficial to regulate. I'll take a look at the graphic standards.

Another source would be your civil engineering consultant--he/she may have other design resources that I'm not aware of..

Note: drive thru ATMs typically occur on private property vs public highways and are accessible to the public, therefor must be ADA & code compliant.
Given that folks with disabilities can drive, height and reach range as well as viewablity are causes of concern for accessibility codes and laws.
This is as much a best practices issue as it is code and law. It is a scoping issue with multiple considerations required.

Reactions: JBI