• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Math help please

ICE

Oh Well
A friend has a task of leveling a building. There is two apartments built over a carport. There is a 3’ cantilevered section that will be a pivot point. I’m hoping one of the smart members can perform the math.

Thanks for your help.

1704060190073.jpeg

Last edited:
If the point over the column is fixed, then to first order the ratios on the two sides match: 23' / 1" rise on the right = 3' / x" drop on the left. Solve for x.

And to first order, the end points only move up and down, not left-right. For large angular changes these two approximations cease to be true.

Cheers, Wayne

Solve for x.
I would if I could … but I can’t. So I’ll guess that it’s 3/16”. Did I get close? The structure is 2” to 6” out of level. The concern is damage that will occur when lifting the right side. Apparently the out of level condition has been there for over 22 years.

I would if I could … but I can’t. So I’ll guess that it’s 3/16”. Did I get close? The structure is 2” to 6” out of level. The concern is damage that will occur when lifting the right side. Apparently the out of level condition has been there for over 22 years.
No, closer to 1/8"

Reactions: ICE