• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Math symbols

DRP

Gold Member
I ran into trouble a few weeks ago trying to post a formula, I see it happened to someone else tonite. Is there a way to have symbols and script modifiers like subscript, sup, square root, etc under the advanced tab?

Test;

∆=5wL⁴/384EI

∆=5wL⁴/384EI

=5wL4/384EI

Hmm, no joy. Chris, I'm not following what you did.

jar, HTML is switched off, as it is in most BB's. I know this is a security precaution but do not know what the threat is.

cda, that is a good workaround and might be the best way to do it.

∆=5wL⁴/384EI

Bingo!, forgot to add the semicolons behind the Num Entity codes on this page, ref'd from Chris' post above (better to just copy and paste);

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/mathchart.html

Now to try to make it large enough to be legible to my tired eyes,

∆=5wL⁴/384EI

Houston we are deflected :) , Thanks Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
DRP said:
Chris, I'm not following what you did.
Hold the alt key down and punch the numbers into the numbers keys on the right of your keyboard then release the alt key, not the numbers on the top.

try alt 253

²

I’m testing too.

° ∑ ∞ ± µ ∫ ∇ ° ∂ θ ∑ φ π Δ τ ⊥ λ ν ξ ρ σ Σ ς Ψ ψ Ω ω ε

{42 x 3}[ Eeff /E], Δ = 5wL4 / 384 EI Δ = 5wL4 / 384 EI

Δ = 5wL4 / 384 EI, The deflection for a uniformly loaded simple beam. To keep the units straight, w must be in lbs./inch and L must be in inches. Or, w can be in lbs./ft. and L can be in feet, but then the numerator must be multiplied by (1728 ʺ3 / ʹ3).

I was going to do some experimenting on this thread, on SUN 13FEB11, because I have had the same trouble posting formulas as DRP has had. I do most of my typing in my word processor and then copy and paste to the thread on the forum. I know how to use some of the special character and formating features on my word processor, but it seems that I can’t always get them to transfer meaningfully to the forum, seems the formatting doesn’t transfer or some such. And, if it becomes too much work, it just may not be worth it to me.

Well... I was fiddling with ChrisK’s system and its codes a bit, and all of a sudden all hell broke loose. I had my very own Uncle Bob moment, I thought I pretty much turned my computer into a boat anchor. Like I said the other day, in defending what I assumed was Uncle Bob’s frustration, this old guy gets easily frustrated with this computer stuff too. Nothing about the screen made any sense, the tool bars were gone so I couldn’t seem to do anything, including shutting the computer off, and after about an hour of that I just want to throw the damn thing out the window. And the fun part is, I have no idea what I did to cause the problems or how to rectify some of them. I rather like this forum business, but I don’t get a kick at all out of playing with the computer for the sake of playing with the computer.

But, look at the bright side, we aren't having to carve type :)

I was feeling pretty proud of one of my calcs until a fellow used one yesterday that had a roof pitch input. I had intended that the entry would include only the pitch number e.g. 6. He entered 6/12 and got some pretty interesting results. The heeljoint required 34 sixteen penny commons on a 78" span!

This thread is a good place to use as a test bed for learning and experimenting with symbols or whatever you want to try to post. Anyone, feel free to give it a whirl.

dhengr said:
I’m testing too.° ∑ ∞ ± µ ∫ ∇ ° ∂ θ ∑ φ π Δ τ ⊥ λ ν ξ ρ σ Σ ς Ψ ψ Ω ω ε

{42 x 3}[ Eeff /E], Δ = 5wL4 / 384 EI Δ = 5wL4 / 384 EI

Δ = 5wL4 / 384 EI, The deflection for a uniformly loaded simple beam. To keep the units straight, w must be in lbs./inch and L must be in inches. Or, w can be in lbs./ft. and L can be in feet, but then the numerator must be multiplied by (1728 ʺ3 / ʹ3).
Post Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: