• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum office space cubicle partition height?

Bill Seegmuller

In the 2015 IBC, there is a code for maximum partition height (6 feet) before the partition needs "adequate strength and stiffness to resist loads" (IBC 1607.14) but I could swear I read that office cubicle partitions could only be around 5' high.

Does anyone know where I can find this information? I have been digging in the codes for an hour with no luck.

Are you thinking of when they are exempt from a permit? That is at 5'9" though...

105.2 Work Exempt From Permit
Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Building:
13. Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.

Are you thinking of when they are exempt from a permit? That is at 5'9" though...

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to remember hearing/reading that having office cubicle partitions that high would block views of exit signs.

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to remember hearing/reading that having office cubicle partitions that high would block views of exit signs.
That can be a concern, but would be easily addressed by adding a few more exit signs along the interior corridor routes.

Back in the day 5' (70's - 80's) was always a limitation, possibly for seismic overturning or FLS being able to see over the tops; also if supporting storage units it can be an issue.
As to "fixed", is it fixed if attached to power umbilicals?

Look at portable office cubicles, I believe they by their listing have an limitation on height that may have carried over into code land.

Thanks for the reply. It made me think that what I'm really looking for is the height of a cubicle divider more than a framed out partition. There is a specific height, I believe, for visibility through these dividers...

Thanks for the reply. It made me think that what I'm really looking for is the height of a cubicle divider more than a framed out partition. There is a specific height, I believe, for visibility through these dividers...

Visibility eh? Think 40 - 43", bottom of mirror or door sidelight limits for eye to eye contact