• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum temperature setting for cheese lab

naryana.shankara

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. As with any workspace, there is always debate on where the thermostat should be set. I work in a cheese lab where samples are provided from the production line. The production line is one environment, and the lab is insulated from that environment. I report fats, proteins, total solids, pH, and calcium as part of my job.

In a former life, I was a J-level HVAC tech. I know, per IMC (International Mechanical Code), that every environment requires a specific temperature range. Assume ISO certification is in play.

Assuming I live in Idaho, North America, what would be the proper temperature range and governing code?

Cheers

I don't know what codes are used in your area, but this is what 2018 IBC requires:
SECTION 1203
TEMPERATURE CONTROL
1203.1 Equipment and systems. Interior spaces intended for
human occupancy shall be provided with active or passive
space heating systems capable of maintaining an indoor temperature
of not less than 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914
mm) above the floor on the design heating day.
Exceptions: Space heating systems are not required for:
1. Interior spaces where the primary purpose of the
space is not associated with human comfort.
2. Group F, H, S or U occupancies.

This exception is very likely to be applicable.
Exceptions: Space heating systems are not required for:
1. Interior spaces where the primary purpose of the
space is not associated with human comfort.
In any industrial space, the primary purpose of the space is not human comfort, particularly in food processing.

& ~ &

naryana.shakara, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :)

Regarding the location of a thermostat, it has been my experience
to NOT locate a wall mounted thermostat where the supply air
stream will blow on to it, rather, ...in a location where there is
not much air movement.........The supply air stream tends to
influence the temperature settings for the whole space.

& ~ &

I believe so, OSHA is involved, Cal/OSHA has established some regulations that employers must follow. Other states have regulations.

It seems likely temperature of this room would be set by the requirement for the product, not for the personnel working in the environment. This temperature would probably be determined by your QC department.