• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Means of Egress for Open Floor Layout

mtlogcabin said:
If you are going to have one bedridden resident then you have not met all 5 requirements to avoid sprinklersIf you do not have a bedridden resident then 425.8.3.3 is not applicable
if using bedroom 4 and doors are big enough which ones are missing???

1. In Group R-3.1 occupancies housing a bedridden client, a direct exit to the exterior of the residence shall be provided from the client sleeping room.

2. Doors to a bedridden client's sleeping room shall be of a self-closing, positive latching 1-3/8 inch solid wood door. Such doors shall be provided with a gasket so installed as to provide a seal where the door meets the jam on both sides and across the top. Doors shall be maintained self-closing or shall be automatic closing by actuation of a smoke alarm in accordance with Section 715.4.8.

3. Group R-3.1 occupancies housing a bedridden client, shall not have a night latch, dead bolt, security chain or any similar locking device installed on any interior door leading from a bedridden client's sleeping room to any interior area such as a corridor, hallway and or general use areas of the residence in accordance with Chapter 10.

4. The exterior exit door to a bedridden client's sleeping room shall be operable from both the interior and exterior of the residence.

5. Every required exit doorway from a bedridden client sleeping room shall be of a size as to permit the installation of a door not less than 3 feet (914 mm) in width and not less than 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm) in height. When installed in exit doorways, exit doors shall be capable of opening at least 90 degrees and shall be so mounted that the clear width of the exit way is not less than 32 inches (813 mm).

cda said:
sounds like you are back to talking to the plan reviewer and maybe have his boss set in on the meeting to figure out why you do not meet code???
Sounds like a good plan! Thank you so much!

mtlogcabin said:
My bad I missed that exit #2 was a sliding glass door, thought it was a window when I first looked at it
No prob mtlogcabin. Ive been working on this for 2 months and I'm still confused.

Thanks for contributing in this less interesting topic!

Am I correct in observing a parrallel issue: You are an owner/operator and not a design professional?

If so could that be why you need an interperator of rather clear (to many of us) the code provisions?

In any event, the local AHJ should be willing to have a meeting with you.

Why the unwillingness to sprinkler the building?

ADAguy said:
Am I correct in observing a parrallel issue: You are an owner/operator and not a design professional? If so could that be why you need an interperator of rather clear (to many of us) the code provisions?

In any event, the local AHJ should be willing to have a meeting with you.

Why the unwillingness to sprinkler the building?
Not required if the building meets a certain code standard

I see it as an interpretation is a certain area a legal intervening room or not?

Do not practice in Calif only visit there, but I think the plan reviewers interpretation is wrong

The interpretation is nonambs cannot exit through an intervening room if that room is a common area (living rm/family rm) not separated from the rest of the house.

cda, any plans of moving here? ;-)

cda said:
Not required if the building meets a certain code standardI see it as an interpretation is a certain area a legal intervening room or not?

Do not practice in Calif only visit there, but I think the plan reviewers interpretation is wrong

No left there in 77 and forgot to come back except to visit

To crowded miss the mountains and ocean !!!!!!

I do not read the code that way, if that is the official interp than install fire rated doors and that should do it??

Between kitchen and living room and activity room

Huntington is calling: "come to me, come to me".

Yes, I think that's the interpretation. Not only that, but self-closing, making the kitchen/dining area a closed room.

I think sprinklers are worth the openness of the area.

Im at the point where I'm willing to do just about anything legal if only they'll give official comments.

The other thing that ticks me, is how come other rcfe's are allowed with an open layout w/o sprinklers?

cda said:
No left there in 77 and forgot to come back except to visit To crowded miss the mountains and ocean !!!!!!

I do not read the code that way, if that is the official interp than install fire rated doors and that should do it??

Between kitchen and living room and activity room

""""The other thing that ticks me, is how come other rcfe's are allowed with an open layout w/o sprinklers?"""""

That is another reason I do not think the call is correct.

Have you talked to the plan reviewer's boss, and the building offical about this????

The plan reviewer is the inspector who is under a captain.

building official says they only comment on home modifications such as door widening, wall building, etc and NOT on evacuation routes.

so, it really feels like im in the mercy of the insp.

cda said:
""""The other thing that ticks me, is how come other rcfe's are allowed with an open layout w/o sprinklers?"""""That is another reason I do not think the call is correct.

Have you talked to the plan reviewer's boss, and the building offical about this????

That's why im not sure if its worth the possibility of ****ing off the insp by questioning his interpretation only to be told the same thing by his boss.

code-stressed said:
The plan reviewer is the inspector who is under a captain.building official says they only comment on home modifications such as door widening, wall building, etc and NOT on evacuation routes.

code-stressed said:
The plan reviewer is the inspector who is under a captain.building official says they only comment on home modifications such as door widening, wall building, etc and NOT on evacuation routes.

This gets even stranger

425 comes out of the building code

Intervening room comes out of 425

Intervening rooms is found in other parts of the building code

Another route to go is talk to a building code consultant , lay out your plan, let them look at the code sections,and see what the consultant says

The only requirement are interconnected smoke detectors.

By bldg. code consultant, do you mean the city bldg. & safety dept?

I called a fire compliance consultant from Long Beach and I told him my goal.

he said it'll be between $5k-$10K and I was very specific for only a 6 client facility.

cda said:
Do you have a fire alarm installed or will there be one installed???

code-stressed said:
The only requirement are interconnected smoke detectors.By bldg. code consultant, do you mean the city bldg. & safety dept?

I called a fire compliance consultant from Long Beach and I told him my goal.

he said it'll be between $5k-$10K and I was very specific for only a 6 client facility.
Yes a private consultant

Seems just a little high just to look at the project