• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Means of Egress

Monggee

Recently I have been seeing a lot of multi-family projects in Europe with units that have access to only one exit stair. This seems to be at odds with IBC--is this just a result of local codes or is there a provision that allows for this? See attached: One project has a scissor stair, but if I recall correctly, that cannot count as means of egress in IBC. These examples are both 6 stories or higher.

Thank you!
dff41bae344c29b07869de240a382591.jpg
4.Levels_3-4_Plan_A30001.jpg

% = = %

Monggee,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum !

What are the applicable Codes in Europe that allow
this configuration of the MOE ?

= % % =

Recently I have been seeing a lot of multi-family projects in Europe with units that have access to only one exit stair. This seems to be at odds with IBC--is this just a result of local codes or is there a provision that allows for this? See attached: One project has a scissor stair, but if I recall correctly, that cannot count as means of egress in IBC. These examples are both 6 stories or higher.

Thank you!
dff41bae344c29b07869de240a382591.jpg
4.Levels_3-4_Plan_A30001.jpg
Assuming they did Risk Assesment to allow this, what are there material choices orsprinkler requirements that would allow them tobe comfortable with a single means of egree.
Do they believe they should shelter in place and go out the window when help arrives.

Can't really understand until we know the facts