• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Measurement standards?

JPohling

Sawhorse
When measuring surfaces for cross slope and running slopes is there any requirement to use a specific length level? I get reports from people using 2' levels and the slope issues are everywhere. people using 4' levels and the slope problems are reduced considerably. Using a 8' level and the slope issues are again reduced. I typically use a 4' smart level. When I use the 2' level I can pretty much get it to read what I want with small relocations of the level. Seems like a specific length level should be required.

Is there any standard for this?

Now how about measuring the door operating pressures. exterior swing door in CA requires a 5# max operating pressure. The force needed to unlatch and get the door moving can be higher (how high) I thought I read somewhere 25# but cannot pinpoint. Is there a standard for how is this measured? I usually get the door moving with my foot then apply pressure gauge to see if I can keep it moving at 5#. Once again any referenced standard for this measurement would be appreciated.

The DOJ uses a 2'-0" level which is why you should too. You want to recreate what you will be reviewed on and not waste money having to argue why a 4'-0" level should be used.

The DOJ uses a 2'-0" level which is why you should too. You want to recreate what you will be reviewed on and not waste money having to argue why a 4'-0" level should be used.
Do you have a standard for measurement from the DOJ that specifies the length of the level to be used?

Here's a write up from the Access Board from 2011. It's not a standard but more of a recommended procedure: https://www.access-board.gov/research/building/dimensional-tolerances/ I know John Torkelson with theACCESSpartnership has a great write-up / seminar on how to take measurements and why. All of the DOJ/HUD photo reports I've read show them using a 2'-0" level also. I've seen drive-by litigators photo reports that use a 6" level which is ridiculous.

I just saw your door gauge question. It's best to get one of these tools: https://allthingsinspector.com/product/ada-door-pressure-gauge-push-pull-0-35lbs/

Here's a write up from the Access Board from 2011. It's not a standard but more of a recommended procedure: https://www.access-board.gov/research/building/dimensional-tolerances/ I know John Torkelson with theACCESSpartnership has a great write-up / seminar on how to take measurements and why. All of the DOJ/HUD photo reports I've read show them using a 2'-0" level also. I've seen drive-by litigators photo reports that use a 6" level which is ridiculous.

I just saw your door gauge question. It's best to get one of these tools: https://allthingsinspector.com/product/ada-door-pressure-gauge-push-pull-0-35lbs/
Yes John does a great job but when defending against a drive-by consider that it also may depend on:
1. State vs ADA min./max.
2. Filed in Fed or state court
3. Judge vs jury
4. Defendant's $$'s and willingness to defend against complaint or settle out of court
5, Nature of plaintiff (vexious litigant), standing of plaintiff
6. Proof of injury
7. direct connection of injury to barrier (Dr. statement, denial of service)
8. dimensional tolerance
9. Doing research into plaintiff's (and his atty's) history

Yes John does a great job but when defending against a drive-by consider that it also may depend on:
1. State vs ADA min./max.
2. Filed in Fed or state court
3. Judge vs jury
4. Defendant's $$'s and willingness to defend against complaint or settle out of court
5, Nature of plaintiff (vexious litigant), standing of plaintiff
6. Proof of injury
7. direct connection of injury to barrier (Dr. statement, denial of service)
8. dimensional tolerance
9. Doing research into plaintiff's (and his atty's) history
I totally agree. To be clear, I am not recommending that OP accept tolerances that exceed the min/max in their project because they may have to defend their argument against all the reasons you indicate. I am just helping answer OP's question.

" Technical" violations do not always "damage" a plaintiff physically or financially.
The unintended consequence of CA law when it was written before ADA was lack of a requirement to "cure" the encountered barrier.
It continues to lack incentive for businesses to remove barriers and as long as DOJ is the recourse, they lack staff and funding to prosecute and to certify codes as safe harbors which was intended to reduce barriers.

Oh I have a door pressure gauge. It is fairly useless when the CA code does not specify the pressure to release latches and get the door moving. They really need a standard of measurement

Oh I have a door pressure gauge. It is fairly useless when the CA code does not specify the pressure to release latches and get the door moving. They really need a standard of measurement
CBC 1010.1.3 Door Opening Force
The force for pushing or pulling open interior swinging egress doors, other than fire doors, shall not exceed 5 pounds (22 N). These forces do not apply to the force required to retract latch bolts or disengage other devices that hold the door in a closed position. For other swinging doors, as well as sliding and folding doors, the door latch shall release when subjected to a 15-pound (67 N) force. The door shall be set in motion when subjected to a 30-pound (133 N) force. The door shall swing to a full-open position when subjected to a 15-pound (67 N) force.
CBC 1010.1.3.1 Location of Applied Forces
Forces shall be applied to the latch side of the door.