• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Measuring risers at thresholds

You're pointing out why "stairs, ramps, landings, floor" are number 1 for injuries and fatalities among all products in the CPSC NEISS research. That's no. 1 in all age groups except 5-9 (playground equipment no. 1 and stairs... no 3) and 10-14, where stairs... follows football and basketball.

Codes have relatively nailed fire, and until jurisdictions stop amending sprinklers out for greedy builders, about all we can do. But codes have a ways to go before we can make much inroad on the hazards of stairs, ramps, landings, floors and the carnage those things leave.

I have tried multiple times to get a definition in the model codes, most recently this past IRC code cycle.

You can watch the video of the lineup of inspectors that argued we don't need a definition for a landing.

They say it is self explanatory,

So simply a landing is the minimum required area of a floor level, located
  • At the top and bottom of stairs, or a flight.
  • At the top and bottom of ramp runs
  • outside elevator's doors
  • on the inside or outside of doors for occupied space
Then there are those that argue that a stair or ramp landing is not a floor level, but an intermediate floor with no access that is between 2 ramp runs or stairs or flights.

want to be more confused I can go on, the fact is a single rise from one floor level to another is a stair, when a tread is now between the 2 level and you have a minimum of 2 risers, you now have a flight.

Call it what you want, but it is a stair, through a doorway.

The commentary refers to "the required egress door". Does the mean other non-required egress doors dont have to comply? A 10" rise with outswinging door is ok?
Cherry picking a part of the code is not allowed, the code must be read as a whole. section R311.3.2 Floor elevation at other doors. Doors other than egress doors shall be provided with a landing or floor not more that 7 3/4 below the top of the threshold.

Cherry picking a part of the code is not allowed, the code must be read as a whole. section R311.3.2 Floor elevation at other doors. Doors other than egress doors shall be provided with a landing or floor not more that 7 3/4 below the top of the threshold.
Not cherry picking the code, just picking on the commentary and it missing it's mark. I recommend on NOT relying on the commentary. Read subsequent posts for more.

I see a lot of references, actually, the majority of references to the IRC. This was posted in the Commercial Building Code Section. My question is to whether or not the OP is for residential or commercial use. Is this supposed to be IRC or IBC?

It's called thread drift....I'm surprised that you are surprised.
When people search google, they don't want to look for an IBC question and see IRC answers. I am hoping to keep threads on topic until they are reasonabley answered. Drift after a consensus on the original question.

When people search google, they don't want to look for an IBC question and see IRC answers. I am hoping to keep threads on topic until they are reasonabley answered. Drift after a consensus on the original question.
Well it is me against the world on this one and as I recall the drift was in motion when I got here.

I started this with a question about a existing single apartment means of egress, non accessible, with a low landing landing on the outside of a new door on a new deck per 2015 IBC/IEBC for R-2. Not sure if it can be called a riser or not since it's a change in elevation with no treads or stairs. Just asking about what the maximum height can be including the threshold. I think it can be 7" plus 1/2" for the threshold.

It's just that I find it confusing because 1010.7 Thresholds says thresholds max is 1/2" for swinging door but for the back door there is an exception for R-2 that is not a means of egress can have a 7-3/4 threshold. Sounds like this 7-3/4 threshold can be on top of a landing which can be 7" high which would total 14-1/2" of a step up.

Last edited:
For Commercial buildings, we typically measure the vertical distance between Nosings.

For Residential, we typically measure the vertical distance between nosings, or between nosing and the top of threshold - including the weather strip.

In terms of function, the riser height is equal to the total vertical distance required to step onto the next level (tread, landing or floor).

So the OP was about IBC, however I believe they mentioned that the IRC has a definition of Riser, but the IBC does not.

They also mentioned that the R-2 exception allows the 7-3/4" rise between the lower landing and top of threshold.

HEnce, they did not directly ask about the IRC, they used certain information as a reference

Last edited:
I try to fall back to the IBC for definitions if not in IRC. That said my opinion is the if there is not a landing on the outside of the door then it must open in with a couple of exceptions. Just my 2 cents.