• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Med-Gas IBC 427 (2021) and separation

LPWCA

Project Info: V-B; Full NFPA 13, 'B' Ambulatory Health Care (as defined per IBC and NFPA 101); 3 story

Two part question.

1) We have an interior supply room with an exterior wall (427.2.1). The overall aggregate quantities of O2 & N20 exceed the MAQ (3,000 cf) for the aggregate total allowed. However, in table 307.1(1), it lists two types of oxidizing gas; gaseous and liquefied. O2 is gaseous, yet looking at MSDS sheets (i.e. airgas.com) it lists N20 as a liquefied oxidizing gas. Would the intent then be to categorize the two med-gas quantities differently so you were allowed up to 3,000cf of O2 and roughly 300lbs of N20 per control area?

2) The room is a 1hr constructed with fire barriers extending to exterior walls and to deck above, which is a pan deck/concrete floor assembly with secondary joists spanning beams. and a primary structural frame consisting of columns/beams etc. There are exceptions for supporting construction regarding incidental uses if in VB/IIB/IIB construction types when fully sprinklered. In that table (509), examples for laboratories in higher ed, incinerator rooms, etc. appear to have a similar hazard as a typical med gas room that does not exceed the MAQ for control areas. Is the intent then to provide supporting construction protection for a med gas room with similar building provisions as those listed in 509? It seems to me that 427 should provide that section as well clarifying supporting construction requirements as they do for incidental uses, labs, control areas, etc.

Thanks in advance

So I was mistaken in my original post and read right over 'gas rooms' in footnote 'e' of 307.1(1), which by definition is what it is. Therefore aggregate quantities are under MAQ. Thanks to the retired fellow who pm'd me!

Supporting construction however, is still an issue.