• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum Thickness for Frost Wall

Ryan Schultz

I have a PEMB that has an occupancy of A3 in a IBC 2009 jurisdiction.

The steel structure is supported on concrete piers.

Between these piers will be a frost wall with fill on both side. Slab on grade.

Question, what's the minimum thickness that this frost wall needs to be? I found minimum thicknesses for foundation walls in table 1807.1.6.2, but this frost wall is really not a foundation, per say, if defined as an element that bears the building load.

Thanks Much, Ryan

$ ~ ~ $

Can you please provide a definition of Frost Wall as it

will be used in your application [ i.e. - what is its intended

purpose if not load bearing, ...lateral bracing, ...retaining

wall, ...other ] ?........Also, how high will the fill be on both

sides of your Frost Wall ?

Thanks !

$ ~ ~ $

I

VARYING CAVITY WIDTHS

Build walls with a steel-reinforced concrete core from 4" to 12" thick. (Even thicker walls can be built using the Logix Xtender Clip.)

BUILD WITH THE LATEST CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY.

Logix ICFs have turned simplicity into a science. Its straightforward assembly is easy to learn and even easier to put into practice, while its design flexibility is an architect's dream. See for yourself – there really isn't much more than meets the eye:

THE SCIENCE INSIDE.

1 INTUITIVE ASSEMBLY

Affectionately known as "giant Lego", the hollow Logix blocks simply stack together.2 CONTINUOUS FOAM INSULATION

Two thick, continuous Logix Pro foam panels envelope the home or building to provide an effective wall assembly R-Value of R-25. (Higher R-values are available with Logix Platinum Series and XRV Panels.)3 VARYING CAVITY WIDTHS

Build walls with a steel-reinforced concrete core from 4" to 12" thick. (Even thicker walls can be built using the Logix Xtender Clip.)4 LOW AIR INFILTRATION

The Logix wall assembly delivers up to 60% lower air infiltration than a traditionally built wall.1 This feature adds to the thermal performance of the foam insulation, and makes the home even more draft-free and comfortable.5 5-DAY THERMAL LAG

The Logix concrete core also provides a 5-day thermal lag.2 The thermal performance of the home is enhanced yet again.6 GREATER SAFETY AND PROTECTION

Logix's steel-reinforced concrete core also protects the home or building against fires, hurricanes and earthquakes.7 EXCEPTIONAL SOUNDPROOFING

The concrete core significantly reduces the penetration of outside noise.8 TERMITE RESISTANCE

Treated with Preventol, the Logix TX Series even protects against termites.

thinking_inside.jpg

1CMHC "Monitored Thermal Performance of ICF Walls in MURBs", 2005. Actual results may vary.

2CMHC & NRC/IRC "Field Monitoring Of The Dynamic Heat Transmission Characteristics Through ICF Wall Assemblies Over A Full Year Cycle Of Weather Exposure", 2011. Actual results may vary.

If it is non-structural then use a 4" wall or ASCE 32 might let you just insulate without the concrete

= = + = =

mtlogcabin,

Is the application in your pictures a "prescriptive" application

that can be referenced & applied from the IBC, or does Mr.

Schultz need to get a S.E. to design & stamp something from

the ASCE ?

= = + = =

That is the AHJ call. Look at R403 in the IRC it is taken right out of ASCE 32 It does not really require an engineer to figure out what will be needed.

I suggested Logix forms because I knew you could get them in a 4" width and they are an excellent product.

It also might help address the energy code requirements for slab on grade depending on the Climate Zone the building is in

I would agree with mtlogcabin. It is important to clearly distinguish between the "foundation" and the "non-supporting" concrete elements that also need to extend below the frost line. I would recommend color-coding the column footings orange as the foundation which supports the structural load. Then the 4 or 6 or 8 inch thick concrete that spans in between these column footings should be highlighted yellow and called out as "not a foundation wall subject to IBC 1805.2.1". Essentially that yellow portion of the system is a "skirt" to hold down the slab edge as it would otherwise be subject to frost heave and expansive clay soils. Unless you are using that ICF wall product recommended by mtlogcabin, that 4 or 6 or 8 inch thickness would be determined by the width of your back hoe.

Unfortunately, some building officials have a hard time conceiving that a "foundation" could be anything other than a perimeter trench footing. And when their thinking is challenged, they dig in their heals and say "this is how you will do it because this is the only way it has ever been done".

For a perimeter trench that is 6 inches thick and 54 inches deep, the cross section area of steel reinforcement needed to control cracking and shrinkage would be 54 x 6 x .0018 which equals one #4 rebar top, middle, bottom. Three #4 rebar horizontal total.

It needs to be thick enough to allow the concrete to reach the bottom. 6" might be marginal for a 4'-6" depth, even if both sides are formed. It might need to be 8" to 12" thick if one or both sides are cast against the dirt.

BayPointArchitect said:
For a perimeter trench that is 6 inches thick and 54 inches deep, the cross section area of steel reinforcement needed to control cracking and shrinkage would be 54 x 6 x .0018 which equals one #4 rebar top, middle, bottom. Three #4 rebar horizontal total.
I'm curious how you came to this conclusion. Is this a code requirement or rule of thumb?