• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mobile Home repairs and HUD certification

So what happens if the designer/company that originally built it is no longer in business and a tree fell on the mobile home causing structure damage?

So what happens if the designer/company that originally built it is no longer in business and a tree fell on the mobile home causing structure damage?

This does occur and we want to see every attempt to contact the originally designer or company that may have bought out or took over, otherwise it’s handled on a case by case basis and our office will make contact with Pa. DCED.

Thanks for all the input!

What would be wrong with replacing or sistering damaged lumber with the same size lumber?

That is part of this inquiry. I believe that this is specifically prohibited with out approval from either the manufacturer/DAIPA (good luck with that), or recertified by professional designer/engineer.

Structural repair and modification that couldn't be "recertified" would then have to bring the entire structure up to IRC standards. That in and of itself could be more expensive than a replacement with a decent used unit. So while I agree that may seem reasonable, "reasonable" doesn't always stand up in court! Part of our job includes limiting any liability for the jurisdiction. So I am in search of a path to allow this in a way that protects all involved, should the unthinkable happen.

Thanks for all the input!

That is part of this inquiry. I believe that this is specifically prohibited with out approval from either the manufacturer/DAIPA (good luck with that), or recertified by professional designer/engineer.

Structural repair and modification that couldn't be "recertified" would then have to bring the entire structure up to IRC standards. That in and of itself could be more expensive than a replacement with a decent used unit. So while I agree that may seem reasonable, "reasonable" doesn't always stand up in court! Part of our job includes limiting any liability for the jurisdiction. So I am in search of a path to allow this in a way that protects all involved, should the unthinkable happen.

should, would, will and may are all "possible"

How many of you allow "repairs" or "renovations" to Manufactured Homes? We have been recently (last 5 years or so) stopped allowing any work beyond small cosmetic repairs to occur on any structure after 1976 with a HUD certification. We are working under the premise that a "Manufactured Home" constructed under the HUD Manufactured Housing Standards must be accepted as a "dwelling" regardless of compliance with IRC standards with the exception of installation requirements covered in the appendix.

We are fine with that, always have been, as I am sure most are. The problem is this. Our understanding of the HUD certification states that ANY modifications to the structure must be approved by the manufacturer and the DAPIA (3rd party federally approved inspection authority). Otherwise the "HUD certification" becomes null and void!

-With that said, does a structural modification, repair or any alteration to the structure, then render the structure out of HUD compliance, there for no longer a legal dwelling? (not cosmetic like paint, carpet or even cabinet replacement)
-Can the structure be recertified by a professional to the HUD standards?
-Can the structure be redesigned by a professional to IRC compliance?
-Since they are not covered "prescriptively" in the code, how and when do we require permits for structural repairs and what "standards" do we apply?

When you do allow "repairs and renovations" to "mobile homes", what regulation do you apply?
For example window and door replacement? Subfloor replacement?, Roof truss repairs etc.? Most of what I see would not comply with and IRC requirements. I am concerned with allowing a mixture of standards and then rendering a structure non compliant with either standard.

We have seen quite a few of these situations recently and we are trying to find the proper path to deal with them. Seems to me that some of these "repairs/renovations" would exceed replacement costs in some cases. So why not just require replacement? Would there even be a path for this or not? We even had one stripped to the frame with a hack of lumber for complete rebuild!
I have done several structural modifications here in the state of WA and Labor and Industries, which manages permitting on the projects that need it, enforces the HUD and electrical code and has signed off on everything done in my manufactured home (framing for two windows moved from the living room, framing for French doors in the living room, electrical work I've done). There's no need to 'recertify' if structural changes were permitted and inspected, just like any other house.