• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Money well spent

It looks like is came close to failure. I think they just got lucky....like people that survive in a bathtub.

Now that I am use to the standards in south Florida and methods of construction, I just can't see building like I used to in PA or other places. There is a lot of safety when homes are built to a 170mph wind zone.

$ ~ $ ~ $
"There is a lot of safety when homes are built to a 170mph wind zone. "
There is also a lot of extra cost to a homeowner, meaning not as much profit
for a home builder, or at least that was the schpeel that I used to get when I
inspected Residentials.

The "house assemblers" in my area just would not put forth the effort
to price components for higher wind loads...…..Plus those costs for higher
wind load fasteners \ hold downs, etc. meant less profit for them, and
we regularly get `Naders in the EF-3, 4 & 5 categories.

It's all about them Benjamins !

$ ~ $ ~ $

Unfortunately there are still those the chose the "Golden Rule" above you pay for what you get.

We, in earthquake country, like those in hurricane/tornado prone areas, have a lot of steel in our buildings. Some contractors complain about that.
That is part of the price of living in those areas.
Just wait till the New Madrid or Yellowstone faults crack.
It will be the biggest disaster the US has ever seen.
Those areas are not prepared for it.

We, in earthquake country, like those in hurricane/tornado prone areas, have a lot of steel in our buildings. Some contractors complain about that.
That is part of the price of living in those areas.
Just wait till the New Madrid or Yellowstone faults crack.
It will be the biggest disaster the US has ever seen.
Those areas are not prepared for it.

Yea, I have been waiting for my Arizona property to have an ocean front view.

$ ~ $ ~ $
There is also a lot of extra cost to a homeowner, meaning not as much profit
for a home builder, or at least that was the schpeel that I used to get when I
inspected Residentials.

The "house assemblers" in my area just would not put forth the effort
to price components for higher wind loads...…..Plus those costs for higher
wind load fasteners \ hold downs, etc. meant less profit for them, and
we regularly get `Naders in the EF-3, 4 & 5 categories.

It's all about them Benjamins !

$ ~ $ ~ $

If you choose to live in tornado alley but choose not to construct to the potential damage of you area, that is on you. In hurricane and earthquake areas, you don't have a choice. If you have a choice but choose not to protect your property, you have that right. I am sort of sick of all the "increased costs" argument when homes are often much larger than they need to be and the amount spent on an imported marble floor or granite countertop seems more important than your safety.

What the heck is that on the bottom side of that commode? Looks like some kind of packing material.