• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Monumental stairs that turn - how to do handrails

Yikes

Gold Member
New project, 2022 CBC. Monumental stairs - - see image below showing 3 options for handrail configuration.
North is top/up. Direction of egress is from top landing going northwest to south east (big red arrow)
1709775283146.png

Stairs are facing a street corner (45 degree angle to the city grid), with raised planters flanking each end.
All parking is street parking, so most people will approach from the northeast and southwest, at the end of the stairs - - not the middle.
For the 3 handrail configuration options A, B, and C, which one(s) meet code? Which one is "best practice"?

I'm mindful of 1014.9 which states to place handrails along the most direct path of egress travel, which in theory is (C). But forcing people to turn seems more hazardous than going straight.
On the other hand, options A and B leave a small area of stairs where a visually impaired person may try to fins a handrail against the planter, but it just isn't there.

Do you have a view that shows the entire width of the sidewalk, and a bit more of its length?

Based on the limited view you've showed us, my vote has to go with A. C is definitely out of the question. B might be a possibility, except that B doesn't really follow the diagonal steps. What B does is force people following the handrail to walk diagonally on the straight steps, which effectively changes the rise and run -- and that's not permissible in a single run of stairs.

Is another intermediate rail needed at the center? What's the distance between the two intermediate rails?

Sorry, the rest of the design is something that is currently under a client confidentiality agreement, so I can only show a limited segment.
But I can tell you that at the northwest end, behind that planter is a ramp that goes to the sidewalk, so we have already met all code-required MOE without even needing the stairs.

The ramp would be opposite the planter at 7? And the doors are at upper left, beyond 6?

The natural flow of egress traffic, especially in a panic situation, is going to be straight out -- and I see an arrow confirming that someone already thinks this is the case. The IBC Commentary and the NFPA 101 Handbook both discuss this in their coverage of where to put handrails on monumental stairs. With the stair there, it's like the baseball field in Field of Dreams: "If you built it, they will [exit]."

I stand by my answer. And I still winder if another intermediate handrail is needed.

How wide are the stairs and how many people? Seems like you might only need one intermediate or proper handrail extensions at the sides...

1014.9 Intermediate Handrails

Stairways shall have intermediate handrails located in such a manner that all portions of the stairway width exceeding 75 inches (1905 mm) required for egress capacity are within 30 inches (762 mm) of a handrail. On monumental stairs, handrails shall be located along the most direct path of egress travel.

Bill, the stairs are not built yet, but the city and the powers that be (who have a great say in the aesthetics) want that flare.
Yes, the ramp (sloped walkway) is on the opposite side of #7.

A is the safe bet.
B&C can create hazardous walking conditions for someone with mobility issues. (tripping hazard, due to irregular steps)

Bill, the stairs are not built yet, but the city and the powers that be (who have a great say in the aesthetics) want that flare.
Yes, the ramp (sloped walkway) is on the opposite side of #7.
I worry when you show the A rail solution, they won't like that, but still want you to be liable. Tough position.

If drawing, I might do C - with a bit of radius at the 90 - and then do the second one inward - maybe 40-45" - sort of concentrically or at least with a dog leg out. Would have to play with it and see how the tread depth progressed. And I might look at and say no, or it might inspire another idea. Just trying to work with stair flare. Can't help but think powers that be won't like A.

Thanks, everyone. After reading your responses, I am inclined to agree with configuration "A", and then revise the corners of the stairs to be something other than steps - - perhaps an elevated base on which to put decorative planter pot or something.

This has been helpful.