• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

mritsabigdeal

hey everyone, ill try to make this as simple as possible:

I would like to purchase a property (5 acres), renovate its homestead, and put up movie/theatrical set flats out behind the home to create "scene areas" for people to hang out/take pictures in (pictures attached).

I was wondering...

a) if building permits are required to erect the set flats
b) if the set flats could also serving as fencing for the property as well

GEOGRAPHIC / ZONING DETAILS
county: san bernardino, ca
acres: 5
zoned: RL (rural living)

There seems to be a gray area when it comes to installation art so I wanted to see if perhaps the experts here had a good idea on how to answer.

thanks!

1a2a019e48b4ebde4c8a915c99fe444f--stage-props-stage-set.jpg
plywood-use-film-television.jpg
f119fa7fc6dd7ad421cbc2988ca5d77f.jpg

Are the sets for you and your friends to take pictures, at no charge, or will they be open to the public?

Speak with your AHJ, but I would most likely say yes if open to the public. AHJ would most likely require a plan to secure the panels against wind/seismic.

As far as fence, you would have to meet max hieght requirements and material requirements.

Now five acres does not sound like you would be in a residential neighborhood ??

Just do not mess with the endangered dessert snail

The "set flats" shown in the picture are indoors for a reason. They would not last long outdoors.

Speak with your AHJ, but I would most likely say yes if open to the public. AHJ would most likely require a plan to secure the panels against wind/seismic.
San Bernardino County, CA
Building and Safety (909) 387-8311 AND (760) 995-8140
Planning (909) 387-8311 and (760) 995-8140.

I think your best route, once again if kind of out in the middle of no where and not trying to make money is to

Get the land

Rehab the house

Than but the scenes in as temporary, not fence line.

Limit the hieght

Could be considered an inner screening wall

As far as fence, you would have to meet max hieght requirements and material requirements.

Now five acres does not sound like you would be in a residential neighborhood ??

Just do not mess with the endangered dessert snail

it's zoned rural living - which is a large plot with allowance for 1 family residence per 2.5 acre

and if i see that snail, im running.

The AHJ will most likely tell you to hire an engineer. But that's only for structures that require a permit. I doubt that San Bernardino County would want a permit. Do as you like and if anyone inquires tell them that it is Art. Shirley they know Art. The wind whips through there pretty good; now and then you might have to round up your Art.

Last edited: