• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Moving drain vent to clean out.

edsaunders84

I have a bathroom that had quite an unusual layout before. I'm looking to move some fixtures around and I have a quick question:.
Coming from my sewer, there is a drain for a sink, a toilet, and a shower all coming off the main sewer line. This is then followed by a 4 inch line through the ceiling for a vent, followed by the kitchen sink drain and then the clean out.
This is all in a slab so moving things around will be difficult. I'd like to cut the vent off and neck it down to accept a sink drain and move my vent to run up the wall from my clean out. I plan on putting a y in so the clean out can still be used. I don't think this will cause a problem based on what I've read but I wanted to ask some folks with a lot more experience than myself. Thanks in advance.

# # # >

edsaunders84,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum ! :)

Can you provide a dimensioned sketch for us to review your question with ?

< # # #

Thanks for the welcome, It's obviously been quite a while since I used a forum. I'll get you a cad layout shortly. Thank you.

Why not just add a tee to the vent and make it a wet vent?
I'm looking to put a vanity there and if I make a wet vent it will push the vanity out about a foot into the bathroom and I will have to build a wall around it to hide it. If i can just move it to the cleanout then I can push the vanity all the way back and go down through the base of the vanity into the old vent.

* * ~ * *

edsaunders84,

Can you cut the 4" vent while keeping it for the venting of
the plbg. fixtures, reroute it horizontally to a different location
and then take it thru the roof ?...........You must keep the 4"
vent as a working & compliant vent.

* * ~ * *