• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multi-layer wired glass fire-resistance rating

In the US, Two decades ago, traditional wired glass was the only fire rated glass available. It never met the CPSC’s safety standards. The codes exempted traditional wired glass where fire rated glazing was needed. That exemption no longer applies. Since 2003, the use of traditional wired glass in doors, sidelites, or locations where impact is a concern has been narrowed. Under the 2012 IBC, unsafe wired glass is not allowed in any hazardous location.
The wire actually weakens the glass and increases the likelihood of breakage even under the relatively mild force exerted by a small child. Even worse, the wire embedded in the fragile glass can snare a hand or leg that passes through the broken glass making injuries more severe.

There is a range of glazing products that can be used to replace or upgrade traditional wired glass in hazardous locations. Thanks to recent advances in glazing technology, many alternatives on the market meet both fire-rated standards and the CPSC impact safety requirements of 16 CFR 1201. Below is a gallery of clear, wire-free, affordable options for replacing unsafe wired glass in potentially hazardous locations
Kent Washington Unified School District paid a $2 million settlement and issued an apology to a student injured when he fell into unsafe wired glass.

a new door that the manufacturer has fire tested?

Technically, no.

Fire door makers don't test each door they make. They send a sample door to a testing agency such as U.L., and the testing agency runs the test on the sample door and certifies the test result. After that, the manufacturer certifies that each door it makes for [___] label is physically constructed the same as the door that U.L. tested.

They have to have tested that type of door with that size & type of glass in it.
Can they test a sample door with larger size of glass and then use a small size of glass (assume the same type of glass is used)?

I'm going off of memory, but I think there is a percentage they are allowed to decrease the size based on the tested size. I could be wrong though.

I believe tmurray is correct. IIRC, the requirements for glazing in fire doors says "up to" x square inches of glazing. That would allow any amount of glasss that doesn't exceed the stated limit (which is different depending on the rating of the door).