• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NEC 2014 210.17. Please help me interpret this code.

Rudag

I am the Building Official in our City. When a conflict of code interpretations arises I am authorized to make the final call.

Our electrical inspector is requiring the installation of the separate branch circuit for the potential of a charging station being installed in the future in new construction of all garages. I have received calls from contractors and home owners questioning the requirement.

NEC 2014 210.17

Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit

An outlet(s) installed for the purpose of charging electric vehicles

shall be supplied by a separate branch circuit. This circuit shall

have no other outlets.

They way I read it is if an outlet is installed for the purpose for charging electrical vehicles then it is required to be supplied by a separate branch circuit, making the separate branch circuit required only if a charging station is installed. I am leaning on not requiring the additional circuit unless a charging station is installed. I cannot find a code reference specifically requiring installation of a branch circuit in the absence of a charging station.

I want to support the inspector but our job is to enforce the code and not make additional requirements. Does the way I interpret the code uphold the intent? What am I missing?

Thank you.

Depends on the vehicle what may be required. To require a dedicated electrical circuit for something that may never be installed in a home is overboard.

https://www.srpnet.com/electric/pdfx/chargingstation.pdf

NEC 2014 210.17 Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit

An outlet(s) installed for the purpose of charging electric vehicles

shall be supplied by a separate branch circuit. This circuit shall

have no other outlets.

If there is no purpose (electrical vehicle) there is no requirement

JMHO

You can't require compliance to a code section, when the subject of the section is not even present, you are correct.

Your inspector should not be putting you in the position to have to overrule them. You are doing your job.

you are making the correct call. and I am not an electrical inspector. it is there in white and black.

why does the inspector feel the section cited requires it???

What kind of circuit if he requiring be installed? He has no idea what type of charging circuits future cars are going to require so how is he adding a requirement that a separate feed be installed at the time of construction? The circuit is not required until the charger is installed!

Msradell said:
What kind of circuit if he requiring be installed? He has no idea what type of charging circuits future cars are going to require so how is he adding a requirement that a separate feed be installed at the time of construction? The circuit is not required until the charger is installed!
California is requiring it as part of our Green Code, I haven't looked it up but I've heard it's a requirement. But I agree, I think every electric car manufacturer has a different connection system.

Not required but has code stipulations if you do. Bottom line is that the inspector is incorrect and your system is working if you are there to make the correct call regardless of who is right. That's the right thing to do.

conarb said:
California is requiring it as part of our Green Code, I haven't looked it up but I've heard it's a requirement. But I agree, I think every electric car manufacturer has a different connection system.
I haven't heard about that.

The California Building Code will require all new construction to be wired for Level 2 electric-car charging stations beginning in July 2015, it is not a requirement before that

You will, in new homes, be required to provide conduit. Wire and charging unit to be installed at a later date.

We also have a solar ready roof requirement.

mark handler said:
The California Building Code will require all new construction to be wired for Level 2 electric-car charging stations beginning in July 2015, it is not a requirement before thatYou will, in new homes, be required to provide conduit. Wire and charging unit to be installed at a later date.

We also have a solar ready roof requirement.
I have heard about a requirement for a minimum 200 amp service for installing solar but that is for projects of ten or more houses.

Conduit with empty box is a good idea for new construction. Maybe two empty boxes so the charger/controller can be located where needed to match the car.

Having recently been rear ended by a large 4 wheel drive SUV, I now own an electric car for my wife to do her local commuting (of course I got the "old" car for my commuting). PIA until the 240v charger is installed (an upcoming weekend project). There is standardization for the charger cord connections but there are some differences in the charger equipment for charge rates and time cycles depending on the battery system in the vehicle. Finding out which type of charger box/controller your vehicle needs is readily available from the vehicle manufacturer with charger make/model that matches up to your car. I got lucky for where my service is located, perfectly spotted on the garage wall where the charge port is positioned on the car, just need a two pole breaker, small piece of conduit below the main, mount the j-box on interior wall side, pull/connect conductors, mount charge/controller and get relief from complaints on overnight time required for 110v charging.

for the 2014 NEC; here is the "charging" language for 210.52

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section

provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle

outlets. ...

So for 2014 NEC 210.52(G)(1) you will have an outlet that can be used for vehicle charging but will take many hours. Now if you use the outlet for charging, it is required to be a separate branch circuit so there are compliance difficulties if there are other loads (freezers, general use outlets, etc). If you need 240v for the charging equipment then it also requires a separate branch circuit.

210.52(G)(1) says nothing about a charging station. If the entire garage can be on one circuit I doubt that was the intent either.

Dennis, the OP was about 2014 NEC 210.17, somehow 2014 NEC 210.52(G)(1) got thrown into the mix as making the case for requiring an outlet for electric vehicle charging. What's happening with EV circuits in your part of the country?

jdfruit said:
Dennis, the OP was about 2014 NEC 210.17, somehow 2014 NEC 210.52(G)(1) got thrown into the mix as making the case for requiring an outlet for electric vehicle charging. What's happening with EV circuits in your part of the country?
I understand what the op was about but I think Chris was saying that 210.52(G) was required for a charging station.

There is no code requiring wiring to be installed for a charger that is not there. If one is installed it must be on a separate circuit however I have never even seen a 120V charger. Most of the ones we do are either 30 amps or higher. I can't imagine how long it would take to charge a car with a 120V unit.

The fact that there are so many chargers available should make it clear that wiring for one in the future is not practical without knowing what size the customer wants

conarb said:
I wish California would quit doing this kind of thing. Too many Californians coming to Texas as a result.

BSSTG