• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NEC 250.8(A)(6) Connection of Grounding & Bonding Equipment

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is becoming all too common a violation. Tapcon screws into the masonry behind the box to ground a box, in violation of NFPA 70 Section 250.8(A)(6). How often do you see this or something similar?

This should have been a thread forming screw engaged into the metal of the panel itself by at least 2 threads such as a 10-32 screw.

IMG_6844.JPG

I have never allowed a random screw as the sole connection to an enclosure unless that screw was provided at that location for that purpose. The sheet metal is not thick enough to achieve two threads. This guy tried to beat me at my own game. One thread.... two screws.

49112250593_a22e49823b_b.jpg

Last edited:
They got some threads on this one. Couldn't be any more wrong but their heart is in the right place.

49112324443_8429efd082_b.jpg

49112833201_6dbfd2b14a_b.jpg

Last edited:
This is becoming all too common a violation. Tapcon screws into the masonry behind the box to ground a box, in violation of NFPA 70 Section 250.8(A)(6). How often do you see this or something similar?

This should have been a thread forming screw engaged into the metal of the panel itself by at least 2 threads such as a 10-32 screw.

View attachment 6152
shouldn't 250.126 also apply