• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

need 1964 building code copy

Examiner

I have an Architect friend who is in need of a copy of a section in the 1964 building code that was used in the state of Connecticut. When I lived up there in the early 1990's they were on the BOCA code. My friend is looking for the sections on exterior concrete stairs (railings and guards). I am thinking that the exterior concrete stairs would have the same requirements for railings and guards as would a interior stair. Please let me know if anyone can make a copy of those sections.

Has he tried contacting building depts. up there to see if they have one??

Also the learning center at the national fire academy might have a copy.

Thanks for the help. He did try the AHJ for previous editions and was told that they did not have copies that far back. I guess prior to a state building code it was left up to each jurisdiction as to a building code. In my current state we do not have a state building code that each jurisdiction has to go by. Each jurisdiction has their own code, if they have one at all, and the various jurisdictions do not all adopt the same year edition of a code and they make their own amendments. So as an Architect it is a hassle not having one code to stay in.

Thanks for the help. He did try the AHJ for previous editions and was told that they did not have copies that far back. I guess prior to a state building code it was left up to each jurisdiction as to a building code. In my current state we do not have a state building code that each jurisdiction has to go by. Each jurisdiction has their own code, if they have one at all, and the various jurisdictions do not all adopt the same year edition of a code and they make their own amendments. So as an Architect it is a hassle not having one code to stay in.

Yep that is why it is called the Irrational Building Code

Is the ahj saying it is the 1964 that was adopted at time building was built?

I have a copy of the 1971 CT Building Code which is derived from the 1970 BOCA Code that Connecticut adopted on September 1, 1971. Prior to that it was local codes. I'll look something up in the 1971 CT Code for you, if it will help.

I do not think the AHJ is involved. The copy was needed for a court legal matter as I understand. I think my friend is to be an expert witness.

I might be able to help you out when I get back to the office, in KC right now..............

Try Amazon, you would be surprised at the older codes they have for sale.
Might also check with local fire departments.
Also "older" architects in the area.

Do you know what Town?....Prior to '71 it was up to the Town as to what they had, so a '64 code may not be of any help unless the Town has a reg referencing "current BOCA code" or something like that...Contact the local BO and I would hope they would help.

Try the local library. I worked for a muni that required an adopted copy be accessible at the the local library.

Took the latest adopted code books to them and the library ladies were puzzled and I had to explain the ordinance to them. Went to the reference aisle where the older codes were stored and was amazed in what I saw:eek:. Someone had been stealing the code books, not one full set of any code was left on the shelf.:(

Try the local library. I worked for a muni that required an adopted copy be accessible at the the local library.

Took the latest adopted code books to them and the library ladies were puzzled and I had to explain the ordinance to them. Went to the reference aisle where the older codes were stored and was amazed in what I saw:eek:. Someone had been stealing the code books, not one full set of any code was left on the shelf.:(

Dang inspectors from the next city, never buy thier own books, just permanently check them out from the library