• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need a larger electric service?

There has to be a code that says NO.

as in all businesses shal run off public power.

Does POCO now that this will be used for Permanent power???

cda said:
There has to be a code that says NO.as in all businesses shal run off public power.

Does POCO now that this will be used for Permanent power???
Apparently not "permanent", but only for the summer months. The leasing of the gen is several thousand per month.

As explained to me by the applicant, the POCO is aware and does not object.

Still at the beginning stages here.. I don't even have an application yet. Once I get some details I can hash it out with POCO.

Tim

The entire idea is so absurd! Especially considering the building is leased you would think that the occupant could get the owner to upgrade the power in the building to meet his requirements. I'm surprised the building owner is on board for this, or maybe he isn't?

cda said:
Very similar scenario between that link and this situation, but it doesn't look like they resolved it.

Msradell said:
The entire idea is so absurd! Especially considering the building is leased you would think that the occupant could get the owner to upgrade the power in the building to meet his requirements. I'm surprised the building owner is on board for this, or maybe he isn't?
Yes, I've gotten some info on that whole situation which is still developing.

Further details (still no riser diagram) are that they intend to connect a "lighting control board" (think theater lighting) to the generator (which can be connected via locking power cords) and nothing else from the building will be tied to the generator.

To quote from cda's link "On the other hand, if the equipment that the owner intends to power from the generator is located in a building that already has a power source from the utility, and if that equipment does not fit into the classification of “emergency,” as that word is used by the NEC, then there might be an issue."

That is exactly the scenario. That poster says "there might be an issue", but nothing further was explained.

I too think there might be an issue, but this is not my area of expertise. At the very least I believe there will be a difference in ground potential (control board powered from generator, laptop plugged into building resting on control board) that needs to be addressed. The more basic question is exactly as quoted above: there is a permanent source of power furnished by the POCO, can they power a portion of the building with e generator?

Tim

No

Oh and NO

Just because it is not addressed in a code does not make it legal

Are you going to let the next door business do it and the next

And than someone's house ??

I am recently retired from a POCO and I guarantee you we would not be "on board" with this setup. If the generator quits and the load stays the same, sounds like it would overload the service. What size transformer is feeding them? Have they had any overheating or blown fuse problems? Are they ever in parallel with the POCO? Is there a transfer switch or other means of preventing backflow? Sounds pretty weird to me.

Oops...sorry, I didn't read the part about the twist-lock gen. connection. Still think the POCO would not be happy. Most POCO's are kinda nervous when they hear about generation.

meternerd said:
Oops...sorry, I didn't read the part about the twist-lock gen. connection. Still think the POCO would not be happy. Most POCO's are kinda nervous when they hear about generation.
Believe me, I'm not a big fan of this proposal either.

However, I don't see anything prohibiting it. I am supposed to get a riser diagram which will hopefully detail the bonding, which is the only thing I can see as an issue. 3rd party inspector will also have to review and approve.

Tim

Just say no

No temp power where you have permanent service

Let them prove you wrong or appeal

If I built a brand new building would you final me if I was running the building off a generator for the next three months??

Or when the business's neighbor wants to use the temp also???

cda said:
If I built a brand new building would you final me if I was running the building off a generator for the next three months??
Why Not? As long as the generator system and the rest of the electrical wiring was code compliant they wouldn't be any reason not to issue the CO and sign the final. There's nothing in the code that requires attachment to the public utility. As a matter fact I did it one time. All the facts make it a long story but the building was running off a 50 kVA trailer mounted generator when the CO was issued, inspector didn't have any problem with that!